Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

FEBRUARY 2021 FLORIDA DIVE TRIP ADVICE ???
DivingDeek - 1/12/2021 10:24 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 6

Hey folks. From IN. here. Wanting to go on a vacation/dive trip to FL. in Feb or early March 2021. Never dove FL before, have no idea on anything. I am Open Water Cert with 9 quarry dives and one specialty course under me.
I would be flying out of Cincinnati, OH.

Open to tips, tricks, place to go, avoid etc.
Probably NOT do a live aboard deal this time around.
Might be best to email me as I don’t know if I’m set up to get notifications from this thread ?

Thanks All..
crayls@embarQmail.com
LatitudeAdjustment - 6 days 2 hours ago.
If you are going to SE Florida Blue Heron Bridge is a must dive, go to the site here, check tides and plan around them.
March might be a little late for seeing Manatees in Crystal River, the waters have been warming up and they move out of the springs
Subscribed
DivingDeek - 5 days 3 hours ago.
I saw the You Tube videos. Looks amazing. However, further research shows 1 in 19 people are victims of crime in that area.

thecentersquare.com/florida/by-the-numbers-rivie...30-7b81b9f8cf36.html
Subscribed
DivingDeek - 4 days 20 hours ago.
I don’t live in Ohio at all.
I said I was flying OUT OF the Cincinnati OH airport, which is actually in northern Kentucky and the closest one to me.
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 4 days 17 hours ago.
Ok maybe I started off on the wrong foot - but you are telling us "further research shows 1 in 19 people are victims of crime in that area." But yet you will fly out of Cincinnati - I would not even venture into that place...

BHB is one of the top 10 shore dives in the world. We are not talking the US - this is in the world.
We as divers would never send anyone into a war zone. But you can and should review your risk assessment. If you read in an article that crime seems high in the area - ask the question - but it did not seem like you were asking - seemed like you were telling and so I jumped on it because I have been there for day and night dives...

Your choice - but you wont know what you are missing... Safe Diving!
LatitudeAdjustment - 3 days 23 hours ago.
From DivingDeek: I saw the You Tube videos. Looks amazing. However, further research shows 1 in 19 people are victims of crime in that area. thecentersquare.com/florida/by-the-numbers-rivie...30-7b81b9f8cf36.html

I wouldn’t suggest staying in Riviera Beach but under the bridge is safe. Yes there are homeless there during the day fishing, using the baths and showers but so is the Palm Beach County Police department. The Marine unit is also there.

My wife has stayed in our RV in the parking lot while I’ve done 30+ dives and never said she was worried about crime, just me coming back up.