Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

What kind of breathing apparatus do you recommend?
MisterEd - 8/05/2020 8:13 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 4

Haven’t actually dived yet as my final diving class is next week, however, I’ve gathered all my equipment except 1st & 2nd stage regulators, dive console/ computer and weights.

Tomorrow, I plan to visit an Aqualung franchised dive store and maybe purchase rest of dive gear. A consideration for purchasing Aqualung products is nearby available servicing for Aqualung equipment.
Subscribed
DarkWolfII - 9/01/2020 5:26 AM
How did your classes go?

DW
Subscribed
MisterEd - 9/01/2020 9:47 AM
Strangely, I had to postpone final training due to gallbladder surgery. However, I am prepared for completing the course 09/24/2020.

I ended up buying a new Arris Aqualung BCD because the used BCD I bought from eBay was faulty. My PADI instructor warned not to buy scuba gear until after certification, however, I did not listen and pretty have all the diving equipment I need. Oceanic Pro 4.0, Zeagle F8 regulator and F8 octopus, Aqualung 5.5 wetsuit and new BCD and weights.

I turn 66 in a few days and I am concerned how much actual use I get from all this equipment.
Oceanking - 9/07/2020 1:49 PM
I recommend self containing breathing apparatus
Oceanking - 9/07/2020 2:08 PM
Well if you arw pretty healthy, as far as your ears and lungs go, I’m sure you can dive for 10 years or so. I’ve seen lots of people diving in their early- mid 70’s.
And as far as equipment goes, don’t listen to your shop. They want you to buy their expensive brand new equipment when you can get used one for quarter of that price. When you service old regs they become new. If you need computer then go on ebay and buy suunto cobra or viper with bad depth sensor for 30$ and send it to suunto, they have recall on them, and you’ll get brand new computer for free.
Check offerup in your area and you’ll get masks, fins, tanks and all you need for pennies on a dollar. I have high end gear(2 sets) and I did not pay even a $1. I bought bunch of used gear in bulk, kept what I need and sold the rest. That’s how you buy scuba gear. Lots of people think they gonna be divers and they follow dive shop advise and buy new expensive gear and after a few dives they realise that they will not dive anymore and they forced to sell it for nothing. Good luck with your diving!