Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

new to cold water diving
chosukee - 4/12/2017 9:50 PM
Category: General
Replies: 11

Not sure where this belonged so General it is. I live in New Hampshire so the majority of my dives will be cold water diving. The water temps hit 78 in the summers here in the fresh water, ocean is a lot colder but thats for about a month and a half. it’s 60’s and below the rest of the year. I bought a semi-dry 7mm seac suit so I am good for the temps. what are your favorite dive fresh water/salt water? what do you use for gear?
Subscribed
UnderwaterMartini - 4/13/2017 9:43 AM
Taverse City Bay MI. Love the shallow wrecks. Cozumel, Key Largo, Key West (but only if I’m camping, I’m not paying for houses/hotels in Key West anymore). I think I’ve been to just about every state campground in MI when I was a kid. Never thought I’d be returning there to dive.

Deep Sea Supply BP/W, LCD30, SS long plate, SS weight plates, Hollis F1’s, 2-HP100’S, 2-HP120’S.

Have to get a new dry suit, I sold mine. Likely just getting the $700 USIA shell when DRIS has their next thanksgiving sale.

As soon as I get used to the dry suit again, I’m switching to doubles. Manifolding the HP100’s, but just running the 120’s isolated. Likely getting a DSS Torus49 wing.

Some of the divers I’ve spoken to, won’t run an octo in cold water. Every 2nd stage reg has it’s own primary. So they run doubles, or put the octo on a AL30-40 pony tank (slung). But they all go way deeper than me. I’m still too new for the deep stuff.
Eric_R - 4/13/2017 5:21 PM
I just did a dive on April 2 in Gull Lake here in Western Michigan. 39 degree water.
7m suit was fine. Feet got a little chilled but my boots are in need of an upgrade. I’m hoping to get back out soon but work is interfering again.
Subscribed
chosukee - 4/13/2017 7:55 PM
I have a plan to dive next week. Ice is just out here so temps are similar. one or two 80 degree days doesn’t make that much difference :( my booties are 7mm also, same as the hood, gloves are only 5mm
Subscribed
ScoobahJim - 4/14/2017 9:46 AM
Thank you for asking this question. I am new to diving and up here in northern Minnesota the water are very cold too. I am wanting to go diving asap. I made sure to buy cold water rated equipment, now I just need to find a dive buddy to go with me! the post about 39 degree water with a 7mm suit makes me feel better about going diving earlier in the year as the ice melts off the water.
Eric_R - 4/14/2017 7:12 PM
There’s several tricks to staying warm when diving in cold water while wearing a wetsuit.
Read this.
scubaobsessed.com/tips-for-being-warm-when-scuba...-water-in-a-wetsuit/
I didn’t need to do any of this as the air temp was in the mid 50’s so getting out was comfy.
Subscribed
Resqdivemedic - 4/15/2017 7:35 AM
I mostly dive lakes and rivers due to my work. The river is called the Blackstone and it’s the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution in the US. Always on the lookout for artifacts. I also try to get 1 or 2 ice dives in during the winter as well. Being only 45 minutes from the ocean is a benefit so I head there often as well. I guess any type of water is fine with me. As far as equipment, for work I use an Interspiro full face mask on a Blizzard first stage. Recreational I use an Apeks ATX 50 which is cold water rated, never had a problem with either in cold water or under the ice. I have a Hollis Neotec 8/7 semi dry. My feet get cold rather fast so I use 3mm socks in 5mm boots and fill them with warm water before any cold water dive. BC is a XS Scuba back inflate, weight integrated.
Subscribed
Resqdivemedic - 4/15/2017 7:42 AM
My last dive was January 1st, fresh water. Surface temp was 41 degrees, temp at depth was 35. We had a bottom time of 37 minutes. Right after that dive I was sidelined due to a knee injury so my ice diving season was shot. Bummer. I don’t anticipate getting back in the water until June.
Subscribed
JeffNColdWater - 4/16/2017 12:02 AM
7mm should be fine for your water. Don’t get me wrong, you’ll get a chill near the end of the dive so you’ll want to warm up. I dive in the pacific northwest and our summer temps can get down to the 40s under the thermocline. Today my water temp was 48 and I was in for 90+ minutes between two dives without getting cold. Where you’ll get cold is during your SI. Bring hot coffee or soup in a thermos that helps. Invest in a parka. You’ll do fine.
Subscribed
ScoobahJim - 4/16/2017 9:58 PM
@ Resqdivemedic..

Good idea with the sock and boots, as well as wthe warm water. I’m a rookie so all the info possible is great. I totally understand the feeling of not being able to go diving cause of an injury, I have an injured neck and I am having it fused in 2 places in 2 weeks. I more than likely won’t be able to dive until somewhere between july and september. I typically heal fast but I dont mess around when it comes to my neck :)
Subscribed
Resqdivemedic - 4/17/2017 7:17 AM
ScoobahJim, I had a fusion in my neck over 15 years ago. No problems what so ever since. I would consult with your doc about when to return to diving. I took me almost a year to get back to work as a firefighter after the surgery. One thing I had to do when I used the socks and boots is get a fin with a larger foot pocket. I ended up with Turtle Fins. A bit heavy but boy do they provide propulsion.
Subscribed
ScoobahJim - 4/17/2017 3:17 PM
That is excellent news! Not gonna lie, the fuse has had me very freaked out. Mostly Because I fear I will not be able to dive or play my bass anymore. You’ve definitely raised my spirits about this surgery! Thanks Resq!