Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Tank tumbler / Best rope for use diving, ocean
BgDmbRngr - 5/03/2009 9:57 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 2

I am going to start some of my summer dive projects and and am looking to see what materials for ropes / nets are the best for use while diving and that last in the ocean enviroment. This is going to be a DIY large innertube platform with storage, ring handles, and what ever else I can think of to add .

Has anyone ever done a homemade tank tumbler as well? I have gotten some plans on nice looking DIY tank tumblers and they are actually pretty cheap to build ($100) for parts. You just have to do a bit of drilling, lathe work, electrical connections and the patience to complete it.

Just wanting to know if any one has tried this before and has any suggestions. I will try and post some photos as the projects progress. 

Thank for any help anyone can give.
muddiver - 5/04/2009 5:32 PM

Yellow polypropaline rope will hold up the best in sea water. Down side is that it floats and it is suseptable to sun light.

You next best rope is Nylon. It loses strenght when wet but will hold up in the sun.

For simple, low load and temporary lashings, use manila because it is cheap, cust eaisly and keeps it strength when wet. It will degrade faster than any man made rope though.
mainediver - 5/29/2009 8:34 PM
Greetings,

Some background info: I dive out here in Maine, where the bottom tends to be rocky in the ocean.

As mentioned in a earlier post, nylon does sink, so this may pose an entanglement/snag concern for you. So on my dive flag float this is not my choice.

Polypropolene does float, thus it will not get fouled on the bottom. Yellow poly line is effected by UV ray exposure, but there is a black poly line available that is UV resistant and it floats also. This is what I use when I dive - no fouling and it has a long life. I’ve used it for years and it works great.