Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Scuba Gifts
Joyful - 9/24/2008 7:40 PM
Category: General
Replies: 13

I am looking for suggestions for on gifts to buy a scuba diver; not the high-end pieces of equipment. He is a master diver so he has all the gear and then some. Any thoughts on gifts?

Some insights: He is 55 years old, loves to hunt for fossils and take photos while diving. He’s an avid reader of many wreck and non-fictional recounts about diving.
Matt65 - 9/25/2008 12:04 AM
Well, since equipment is not an issue with your diver friend, how about something like some dive related DVD’s? I just perchased the "Jacques Cousteau Odyssey" 6 DVD set, and wow is it cool! Just a thought.
RAWalker - 9/25/2008 1:15 AM

A life subscription to Divebuddy.com

DalelynnSims - 9/25/2008 12:10 PM

Some places have air or nitrox fill cards, entrance cards and the like. Something that they can use. Ask also about gift certificates and then let them choose.

Hope this helps
scubaclay - 9/25/2008 1:50 PM

Go to your local shop or to your local metal detecting shop and get a gift certificate. Let him choose what he wants or put it towards a larger piece of equipment he wants.

Clay
DiveGirl55 - 9/25/2008 2:09 PM
Amazon has great books on diving. Maybe PLANET EARTH on DVD? Or a nice COFFEETABLE BOOK on diving? Maybe a GC to SEAWORLD? or ATLANTIS?
ScubaHawk - 9/26/2008 11:26 AM

A gift card is the best choice, IMHO. If he is like most guys, he will appreciate the freedom to choose what he wants the next time he is in the dive shop or book store. Gals may get giddy over the thoughfulness of a useless gift, but most of us guys just cringe and head for the nearest round file to upchuck as the gal always expects reciprocity in kind (some day, I will learn to express my opinions bluntly!)

If the gift card does not work for you, buy or make him dinner.

markm
Luvscuba - 9/29/2008 3:46 PM
How about a silver chain link bracelet with the scuba flag and his DAN number on the back?
ScouterJT - 10/05/2008 8:13 PM

From Luvscuba: How about a silver chain link bracelet with the scuba flag and his DAN number on the back?

what a great idea! where might my wife find something like this (to give to me, of course ...)
-heidi-o - 10/09/2008 4:37 PM
yeah.. the DAN number is a great idea! If you couldn’t get that then I think a personalized charm would look nice on a chain... for instance if he likes wreck or cave diving.. then a reel would suffice.. or shark diving there’s a site contributed strctly to dive jewlery. http://www.divesilver.com/ there’s several other’s out there too
Matt65 - 10/11/2008 3:36 AM
Tell us, what did you end up getting for your dive friend?
Subscribed
Joyful - 10/11/2008 7:52 AM
I’m still looking. His birthday isn’t until Oct. 22. But I love all the ideas. I’m thinking of something more practical since he just lost his job. Then again, since he’s decided to put his diving on hold until he gets a job - - maybe I’ll buy him a dive... They are pretty expensive here since it takes about an hour to get to the dive sites... I’m open to more suggestions.
steelheadfish - 11/09/2008 11:16 AM
he might like a scuba chick to dive with get your cert if you dont dive