Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Winter Diving the FL keys
Musky_hunter - 2/12/2015 6:33 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 4

OK, so I’ve only been in Marathon Key once (April 09’) before I was certified so no diving. There was no water clarity, the wind was relentless, and there was a small craft advisory everyday that week. We got very little fishing done outside the Vodka (sp?) cut area. Anyway instead of doing a fishing trip I would love to do a diving trip in the keys. The only month I’m guaranteed to get a vacation is January.

My question is this, and excuse my ignorance, did I experience a bad week down there or is winter/ spring not a good time to dive the keys? It was also a full moon week and the changing tides were very noticable if that has anything to do with anything.
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/14/2015 9:00 AM
I used to go to the Key’s a lot over the Christmas holidays and yes we got blown out a few times. When the wind blows the limestone gets picked up and the water gets milky but I’ve had more good days than not, enjoy.
uwlover4u - 2/14/2015 10:36 AM
You caught a bad day/week. Winter in the Keys is a great time to dive. Clarity is usually excellent. The crowds are less because people who live in Fl. find the water a tad too chilly for them in the winter. Those of us who do live here will generally wear a full 3mil wetsuit over a shorty.
Subscribed
Musky_hunter - 2/14/2015 11:41 AM
Thanks for your help fellas. I’m gonna go for forth and plan a trip next year..Worst case scenario I’ll be in south Florida, in January, with no diving. Opposed to south Wisconsin, in January, with no diving!
MJ_Kiss - 2/26/2015 2:20 PM
If the Keys are blown out, the local folks head to the springs in Central Florida and join the manatees. If you are flying in, you can make "plan A" and "plan B" for either case. :)