Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Scuba Tank Valve "Snorkel" - Dip Tube
SummerCharpentier - 7/10/2013 12:01 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 8

My tank valve "snorkels" i dont know what else they call them, the dip tubes that plug into the valve; anyway they keep coming undone in my tanks and rolling around in the bottom. I’m not comfortable with draining the tanks having to unscrew the tank valve to put them back seemingly after every dive... Anyone have this problem? Suggest a solution?
Subscribed
Greg - 7/10/2013 5:38 AM
I believe you are referring to the scuba tank valve "dip tube". The dip tube should just screw into the tank valve. Remove the valve from the tank, turn the tank upside down to retrieve the dip tube, then use a cloth or rubber covered channel lock pliers to screw back in...not extremely tight, but snug. Then screw the valve back onto the tank and only hand tighten.
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 7/10/2013 1:31 PM
if your uncomfortable with this, theres always option 2.. bring them to the dive shop
Rich-D-Fish - 7/10/2013 4:37 PM
I had this happen once. I always let my wife use that tank because it was easy to find her underwater. Very noisy! ;-) My dive shop used locktite when they screwed it back in and it has not come loose since.
Subscribed
SummerCharpentier - 7/10/2013 9:40 PM
I don’t think I really want to breathe in adhesive. And yes each time I go to fill them they have to empty them to get the snorkel screwed back in, and sadly every time it comes back out :(

What about plumbers joint tape?
Subscribed
Greg - 7/11/2013 5:19 AM
If it’s coming undone that easily every time, I think you should just buy a whole new tank valve. A dab of locktite could be a good idea. Try the plumbers/teflon tape, but I’d be concerned about a piece coming off and restricting airflow (wouldn’t that be a case for Murphy’s Law).
Subscribed
John_giu - 7/11/2013 10:22 AM
My local dive shop sells rebuilt oxygen ready saddle valve for $25. http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/ and new vavles for $40. Soon you will be at that amount in repairs. I would replace the valve and would not use any material not rated for oxygen use on the tank. IMHO
Subscribed
SummerCharpentier - 7/11/2013 11:36 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys!
Subscribed
DiveBuddyChgo - 7/15/2013 11:30 AM
A new tank valve is due. $50 or a tank full of gas for the car. $50 just don’t go that far anymore.