Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

NITROX BUDDY Scam or Cool Gadget?
John_giu - 5/06/2013 10:43 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 9

I was wondering if anyone has seen this > http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1607113047/nitroxbuddy-b...x-analyzer-for-scuba

Seems like they want to use your money to develop their product.

Has anyone seen this demonstrated?

They really need a droid app for this.

Or I could just by a proven analyzer for $250.00
Subscribed
Greg - 5/06/2013 1:06 PM
From LatitudeAdjustment: Me, I’m waiting for the dive computers wireless sender on the first stage to analize my mix and show it on my computer, now that would be cool!

I agree, there’s a kickstarter idea for ya!
Subscribed
John_giu - 5/06/2013 5:35 PM
Like Hunters and fishermen, I guess you can sell scuba divers just about anything.
Subscribed
ediver1 - 5/13/2013 6:47 AM
From LatitudeAdjustment: ......BTW, if you have an analyzer on the boat everyone will borrow it, even the crew so do you want your phone being passed around the boat?

I think you missed the whole point of the device ...... there is NO need at all to pass around your smartphone ....
If other divers have a compatible smartphone (and the My Nitroxbuddy App) they can just "borrow" the Nitroxbuddy sensor but use their own smartphone to analyze their own tank and log the results - in their own smartphone.

BTW, so far our Nitroxbuddy project on Kickstarter is doing very well and we got more than 100 backers already

Alberto (aka eDiver)
Subscribed
Greg - 5/13/2013 7:07 AM
From ediver1: If other divers have a compatible smartphone (and the My Nitroxbuddy App) they can just "borrow" the Nitroxbuddy sensor but use their own smartphone to analyze their own tank and log the results - in their own smartphone.

Very good point! The app is free, so anyone can download the app.
Scuba-Stu - 5/15/2013 9:51 AM
I am wondering why they don’t integrate an analyzer into the computers it wouldn’t be that difficult that way you hook up and all you need is right there
Subscribed
John_giu - 5/15/2013 4:23 PM
Because, just like the $120.00 ($5) USB cable they cheat you in to buy to download your dive profiles, they would likely charge $300.00 for the O2 option. But it would be handy. I they would sell the upgrade at a reasonable price they might sell a lot of them.
Subscribed
ediver1 - 5/15/2013 4:32 PM
From stu13: I am wondering why they don’t integrate an analyzer into the computers

Because an oxygen analyzer needs an oxygen sensor.

If you want to add an oxygen sensor to a dive computer you will face 2 issues:
1) Oxygen sensors are huge (when compared to the size of the microelectronics components inside a dive computer)
2) Oxygen sensors can not get exposed to high pressure AND to the water.

Yes, you can a dive computer that integrates an oxygen analyzer, but it will be big and it will have a huge ugly cap on top
Subscribed
John_giu - 5/29/2014 6:48 AM
It is now selling for $199.00
With many analyzers on the market complete fro $250.00 I think
I’ll be leaving my smartphone on the dock.
And testing my mix when I pick up the fills.