Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Camping in Florida
Janvier - 12/11/2007 6:50 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 6

I`m going to hit the springs in east Florida. Anyone have any good advice on places to camp?
jed130 - 12/11/2007 10:03 PM
ginnie springs in high springs i think would suit you best, it is close to several springs that allow open water as well as technical diving. there are others but they are alittle off the beaten path
Subscribed
Janvier - 12/12/2007 5:49 AM
Thanks Jed, Appreciate the recommendation.
OcalaJim - 12/12/2007 11:26 AM
Manatee Springs State Park is another place to dive and camp. It`s also centrally located near Ginnie Springs. Blue Grotto and Devil`s Den are in Williston, Paradise Springs is in Ocala.
Subscribed
Janvier - 12/12/2007 3:04 PM
Thanks Jim. How about Crystal River...do you go there much?
OcalaJim - 12/13/2007 7:03 AM
I actually work for Citrus County (where Crystal River is). There is a place in Crystal River to dive - King`s Bay. It`s roughly 35 - 40ft with a cavern/room. There is an Encore campground on Fort Island Trail (this is a road that leads out to the Gulf of Mexico and to a boat ramp on Crystal River). It`s a very nice campground. Chassahowitzka River Campground is another decent campground. I know you were asking about the East coast and the only Spring I`m aware of is Blue Springs State Park. The problem is that when the manatees are in the spring (which they are now!) you cannot go into the water.
GregJohnson - 12/15/2007 10:36 AM
Ocala National Forest has several well situated campgrounds. Of all the major springs there, diving is allowed only at Alexander Springs. While diving is not allowed in Salt Springs, the most amenities are available at Salt Springs Campground with the added benefit of Salt Springs Marina being very close by. Have fun.