Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

BCD Alteration
Soup - 1/07/2010 12:55 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 5

My BCD shrank. Ok, I’ve gained a few pounds. Has anyone run across velcro belt extenders and do you have any experience w/using them? I’m looking @ attaching one of those velcro back support devices to my BCD.
seawolfdiving - 1/08/2010 3:16 PM
Some BCD manufacturers do make extenders for the BCD’s. My suggestion is to contact the manufacturer and ask if extentions are available...
Subscribed
Soup - 1/08/2010 4:46 PM
I’ll do that, thanks for the suggestion.
DalelynnSims - 1/09/2010 8:05 AM

Becsause velcro on the cumber bun is not always the greatest, in some tends to ride up, we have replaced this in some occasions with weight belt material using a weight belt buckle, LH release so not confused with weight belt, or a quick disconnect buckle.

This tends to not only be more adjustable but can be snugged enough to where it does not ride up. In order to do this you must be able to thread the webbing through the tank support and may not work for all BCs. The last I accomplished this on was the Genisis Cobra where the velcro was begining to show signs of wear. With this one I also replace the elastic used to connect the BC jacket across hte cumber bun with nylon strapping, retaining the same 1" quick disconnect buckle used with the elastic.

While this is an alteration it is not unlike some BCs that are manufactured in this configuration. It may also void a warranty.

As with any item of life support equipment SAFETY must be your number one consideration. If you are uncomfortable with these modifications then DON’T. If you would like photos please just ask.

just my .02cf worth
scubaclay - 1/09/2010 12:48 PM
Depending on who makes it, there is a cumberbun extender that can be purchased. I know that Sherwood makes them, and I have used them for some of my customers. The seem to work well.
Jen-Michael - 1/09/2010 2:00 PM
The thing that I would be wary about would be that depending on the size of the BC not only does it fit you differently, but the lift capacity of the BC changes with the different sizes. While I don’t think there is a problem with your solution in a short time frame, in the long run you want to definitely try and lose whatever weight you gained or purchase a new BC that’s the proper size. You may need the lift one day, and you may not have it.