Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving in Florida
WaterFaery - 9/14/2009 8:11 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 10

I’m thinking of going to Florida to do some diving in the beginning of November. I would really love to see some Manatee’s, dolphins, turtles, rays etc but have no idea where I would even start. I did read somewhere about Panama City?

I’m also looking for a place to stay that’s economical and not too far from the dive shop.

Any ideas?
Diving4Fun - 9/14/2009 9:49 PM

www.fare-shopper.com is a great website for inexpensive travel. (If you call, ask for Oxana...)

My cousin and her friend went to the keys to snorkel (she wasn’t scuba certified) and had a blast. I would think Key West has a local toursit bureau or call a few local dive shops, someone would have to know something.
DeepAddiction - 9/15/2009 4:09 AM

We have lot’s of Manatee’s in our area of the Gulf. You might be a little early to see ton’s of Manatee’s. They really flock to the springs when the Gulf water gets below 72 Degrees. American Pro Diving in Crystal River does them. I’ve never used them because I have my own boat but they have been doing it a long time. They go out of both Crystal River and Homosassa. I’m no help with lodging either. Both ar very small towns, so I would guess about anywhwere is reasonable. Good luck, hope you enjoy your trip.

Dan

American Pro Diving

821 SE Highway 19

Crystal River, Florida 34429

352-563-0041

800-291-DIVE
divergirl4u - 9/16/2009 12:00 PM

It is a bit to early for manatees we normally do a manatee dive around December or January on Crystal River. But for everything else you would like to see I would suggest Fort Lauderdale area

http://www.scubafortlauderdale.com/

or Key Largo

http://www.conchrepublicdivers.com/

If you get to the Fort Lauderdale area be sure to send me an email and I will show you some of our shore dives.

Have fun and be safe,

Kim P
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/16/2009 4:35 PM

There are manatees in Crystal River now but they are up in the sawgrass where the vis sucks, last week it was less than 5’.

Ditto on American Pro, they are the op to use in that area.
Subscribed
WaterFaery - 9/16/2009 8:32 PM
Excellent suggestions! Thank you so much
kalidescoperain - 10/10/2009 2:17 PM
Thought American Pro was blacklisted for harassment of the manatee
Subscribed
HeathSapp - 7/25/2010 1:00 AM

Birds underwater crystle alot better than American Pro in my opion I live here.

Subscribed
HeathSapp - 7/25/2010 1:01 AM

Birds underwater Crystle River alot better than American Pro in my op I live here.