Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Do you take your safety and your buddy’s safety for granted
MouthBreather - 7/08/2009 6:00 PM
Category: General
Replies: 2

I recently came back from a very interesting dive trip in the Gulf off the coast of Manatee County, Florida. It was an interesting trip for both good and bad reasons. I wrote about it in a blog to divebuddy.com. See "Fun and Trouble Diving the Gulf of Mexico..." and the follow up, "Diving the Gulf Part II" My experience causes me to ask: Do we take our safety for granted when were are having so much fun?
dalehall - 7/09/2009 9:22 AM
Nope.. Even on the shallow reef dives I’ve done in the Keys, we plan our dive and dive our plan. Granted, we make up the dive plan on the boat just minutes before the dive, but we still plan and familiarize ourselves with each other’s equipment. When we do more involved dives, like when we dove the Oriskany and the U-352, we planned those dives for a day or so prior, dove with people we were already familiar with and kept a constant eye out on each other during the dives. We go down as a couple or group and we come up the same (for the most part)
Dale
scubaclay - 7/09/2009 7:04 PM
I am always concerned about myself and my buddy. Safety is ALWAYS FIRST.