Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Dive Gear
scampsr - 4/05/2009 9:49 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 3

I am new to diving and want to purchase new gear. I went on dive pro and put a package together and would like some comments. The BC was a XS Scuba Nekton size Large, the reg was a Mares Prestige 12 standard, the Octopus was a Tusa Platina II and the gauge was Tusa Platina 3 gauge. The total price with shipping came to $736. I thought the price was good but wasn’t sure of the equipment. I’d appreciate your comments.
OLDSCHOOL - 4/14/2009 6:49 PM
My suggestion is to first try out different bc’s and regs before laying down the cash or plastic. Many shops will allow you to try out gear before deciding what to buy. Find out as much as you can about what you want to buy before buying. Check out reviews in dive mags and talk to other divers. A word of advice about on-line buying. There are excellent online sites who are extremely reputable. The concern is when you need servicing. Warranty issues? How long will it take? Shipping costs? I ’ve purchased some of my gear online but only those items where service is not an issue, i.e. mask, fins, accessories, etc. My bc, regs, computer and wetsuit I got through my LDS. Just a thought....
Subscribed
scampsr - 4/16/2009 4:09 PM
Thanks for the input. I plan on visiting my LDS first.
OLDSCHOOL - 4/17/2009 8:56 PM
Good Luck and Happy Diving!!!!