Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Newbie Dive Computer
Padineutrel - 3/23/2024 11:00 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 1

Hi all ,

Im real new, but I have a Dontello Cressi. As a slow learner I have the pdf for the computer (its pictures) but no slow walk through of what one should do 1hour pre dive ect ? I have PADI OWD and want to do the course again. I have never used a dive computer and wonder if anyone has a link to a stop / start video tutorial for a newbie dive computer user?

Padineutrel
Subscribed
GreggS - 3/24/2024 2:31 PM
I could not find any videos for the Donatello, but did find some on YouTube for the Leonardo, which the Donatello replaces. The display looks the same on both DCs so I would imagine a lot of the operations and settings are the same. But if it were me, I would have the manual handy so as to cross check what it says as compared to the video(s) to make sure they are still the same or to see what has changed.

Here is a link: youtube.com/watch?v=NECYHtDYdtk&t=7s

There are other videos link at this page as well. Good luck trying to learn your computer. You most certain need to understand what it is telling you, but I get the sense you are trying to overthink it. The display is rather easy to understand once you know what you are looking at.

As for pre-dive, the only thing you need to do is go into Plan mode to see how long you can stay at certain depths before going into deco. This is primarily just for informational purposes as your computer will give you a countdown to your NDL (no deco limit.) As it nears zero, you need to slowly start ascending. As you ascend, you will notice that your NDL will increase, meaning you have more time at your shallower depth.

Seeing as how you are a new diver, your certified depth is 60 feet. At 60 feet, your NDL will be somewhere around 45-48 minutes. So within your recreational limits, you will most likely be low on air before your NDL time runs out. So make sure you keep an eye on your pressure gauge as well so you don’t run out of air. Also, being a newly certified diver, you will most certainly need to be diving with an experienced diver. Have them to show you and explain what the computer is telling you. Experience is the best teacher. This would probably benefit you more than taking the OW training again.

Again, good luck.