Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Maui during X-Mas
SchlackerRat - 3/19/2009 10:41 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 8

I’m giving my kids a X-Mas present (Scuba Diving Vacation) to Maui this comming season. We leave at 1:30AM on Dec. 25th. I’m planning on telling them, we’re going to midnight mass, but really take them to the airport instead.

Two years ago I got them certified as a X-Mas present. They did their course work intown here, and their open water portion on a vacation to the Florida Keys in late February. We had a great time! But, I learned something about the keys. You almost have to get in a boat to do any diving there. One of my kids, and myself, got alittle sick during the boat ride, but was fine while diving. Afterwords, I wish I would of found a place that was more "shore diving" for a vacation spot. That is why I chose Maui for this vacation.

I have two girls, age 12 and 14. We will be staying in Kihei for 17 nights, and doing alot of shore diving. I found some great information online for some locations, mostly using this link: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Maui/index.htm

Does anyone have stuff they can share with me about Maui?

I would be interested in hooking up with another family (with kids), wanting to do the same thing, any takers?
divemaiden - 3/19/2009 11:32 PM

If you plan to watch the sunrise at Haleakala, bundle up in layers as if you were wintering in the antarctic, it was 30 degrees at the summit in the summer when it was 90 degrees at sea level. also, you’ll be in the clouds where all the moisture is, so waterproof or moisture resistant outerwear as opposed to cloth coats.

There are some nice opportunities to hike, too. You can choose your level, from easy to challenging. I chose a moderate hike to a waterfall and had the opportunity to swim in a fresh water pool to cool off on the way back.

There’s also an aquarium that’s supposed to be good, but I never made it there, so I can’t give you any info about that. I thought the luaus were overpriced and overrated, but that’s my opinion.
Rich-D-Fish - 3/20/2009 12:56 AM

For non-dive activities be sure to drive the road to Hana and swim in the 7 pools. There is a great cliff to jump off approx. 30’ high. Above the 7 pools there is a nice hike to a 100’ waterfall which goes through an amazing bamboo forrest with trex decking right through the center so you stay out of the mud. Don’t miss. The Lava tube tour near Hana is also pretty cool, but requires a separate trip if you’re going to the 7 pools. Take ginger root before the drive to Hana to help with car sickness. Very winding.

For diving I did the Molokini crater which is like a giant aquarium. I heard that the better dive is to the Island of Lanai and the 1st Cathedral caverns. Look it up on the local dive shop websites. I used Lahaina Divers and recommend them highly. Only did one shore dive at Black Rock (Sheraton) and it was just okay. Hear it’s a better night dive. Also heard that Turtle Town is a good dive if you want to dive with turtles. Don’t be afraid of boat dives. Go to your doctor and get one prescription for "The Patch." They come in a box of 4 patches for $25.00 (with my insurance). For a half day dive you can cut them in half to share with the kids and stretch out to 8 applications. I used to get sea sick standing on the dock just looking at the boat. I tried Bodine, Dramamine, Ginger Root, pressure bands, you name it. The Patch works 100% and changed my life. I keep a box in my dive bag at all times. Also ask your doc to put a couple refills on the prescription.

Have fun over there. And Merry-early-Christmas ;-)

Rich
suema - 3/20/2009 3:29 AM

I am a recently certified Padi Dive instructor in maui. I love in Kihei. I used to dive off of the boats all the time when I worked for one of the local dive shops. Molokini and the lanai cathedrals are both boat dives. Now that I no longer work for a shop, I dive off of the shore all the time. There are quite a few spots on the south side that are great for diving. My favorite is Makena landing, there isn’t much to see there other than a few turtles and your almost always guaranteed a white tip reef shark...I’ve seen as many as 6 at a time. They are so used to people that they don’t even care that your under there with them.

A great day and night dive is Ulua Beach. Especially at night.....a good variety of creature cruising around.

If you still need a dive buddy when you get here, let me know. I dive all the time and know quite a few of the spots.

suema - 3/20/2009 3:31 AM

At Christmas time we do a Maui Christmas at the beach for all of the people on the island that we know that don’t have family here. We start the day off with a dive often two. It’s great to decorate for christmas. I put fake snow down and we hang xmas bulbs from the trees. It’s pretty awesome.
Subscribed
SchlackerRat - 3/20/2009 10:50 AM

Thanks,

Jumping off of that cliff sounds like my kind of fun! I’m putting that down as a do item!
ArchimedesPrinciple - 3/26/2009 3:40 PM

17 nights

Can we arrange a temporary adoption for me to be one of your kids during that time? LOL

Thats a nice Christmas present. They will love it
Subscribed
SchlackerRat - 4/28/2009 3:52 PM

Another Question??????

I’m thinking that I would like to have a "Beach Cart", to help move all of our gear from and to the rental car. Does anyone know of a location on Maui where I could rent one?

I’ve been surfing the web for one, and found this (which I really like).

http://www.wheeleez.com/beachcart-folding.php

I might just bye it, but it is kinda expensive.