Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Sand Spikes for sale
allisonfinch - 6/03/2008 8:40 PM
Category: For Sale
Replies: 4

Sand spike for UW photographers

I am making, and selling 14.5 inch long fiberglass sand spikes. They are often used by underwater photographers. If you’ve dived the Pacific, you’ve seen them.
Subscribed
allisonfinch - 6/03/2008 8:42 PM
By the way, they are 25.00 plus 5.00 shipping and handeling.
SnowboardDave - 6/07/2008 1:35 PM
So am i correct in thinking that, you hold it with one hand and use it to hold your position without damaging the environment? (nice pics btw!) sbD
Subscribed
allisonfinch - 6/16/2008 1:20 PM
Yes, you find a spot of dead coral, and instead of putting your finger on it, you put the point of the spike on it. That way you can hold your position without using any fin action. If you are a photographer, you focus your attention through that viewfinder and lose track of your fins. You can push it into the sand and use it to hold your position in surge and currents. I took 15 of them to the Digital Shootout in Bonaire (just got back last night) and sold them all to the dive guides and photographers there.
Subscribed
allisonfinch - 11/04/2013 4:34 PM
Wow, I have been away from DiveBuddy for a good while. Been traveling and diving!! I am still making these spikes, and I have made some changes that make them better than ever. The price has not changed , but the quality has improved. I have taken a bunch on every trip I take and I always sell out to the other divers on the trips.

I really believe in these spikes and believe that they are true reef savers, if used as they are intended to be used. They are especially beneficial to anyone with a camera in their hands. I also know lionfish spearers who use them to push the lionfish off of their polespears.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, you can e-mail me at;

jmpridr@gmail.com

Thanks,

Allison