Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Sign language
Crush - 5/12/2008 1:40 PM
Category: General
Replies: 2

I just wondered how many other divers here have taken advantage of using sign language to communicate with other divers. If you can see your buddy, you can sign to him. I recommend getting a book and 1st learning the alphabet, as most "words" are derived from the 1st letter of the word. I actually learned the alphabet as a kid, for some odd reason mom taught us that. I now work with about 20 hearing impaired people, and when I started signing to them, I only then realized that I already knew the alphabet. (Thanks Mom!) After about 6 months of working with them I found I can be very proficient with it. Its kinda funny as they all have "slang" terms like we do. I think its very useful underwater as well. Let me "hear" from y`all on this...
DalelynnSims - 5/12/2008 10:41 PM
I use it as well, no reason to reinvent the wheel so to speak when there is a standard already. You and others may want to check out http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm as it wil help you with most everything you would need . . . except the slang :-)
Subscribed
Crush - 5/13/2008 2:40 AM
I use it as well, no reason to reinvent the wheel so to speak when there is a standard already.

????huh???
I use the standard sign language, just wondered how many others use it as well. I`m not re-inventing anything, just taking advantage of a tool that can be useful to all divers.