Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Dominican Republic
SHARIJ526 - 5/03/2014 3:57 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 4

Anyone with advice on dive operators in the DR?
We are going this month for the first time.
Have read good and bad reviews of a few and am worried about going with the wrong operator.
We are both AOW with 100+ dives each.
Thanks for any and ALL info!
Subscribed
Plmr747 - 5/05/2014 8:11 PM
Be careful !!! we had a horrible experience in Samana. and would never dive there again. Before you dive check out the dive boats, remembering you will be on it the whole day. They rarely have safety equipment, radios etc. Probably o.k. in larger tourist areas.
Subscribed
SHARIJ526 - 5/08/2014 9:19 AM
Do you remember the name of the dive operator you dove with?
Subscribed
Plmr747 - 5/08/2014 9:37 AM
It was ScubaLibre located at the Grand Paradise Samana Dominican Republic. The resort is fantastic, the dive shop operators should be fired. Hope you have a better dive than we did. Contaminated air, took us to a location, not suited for our family, my son is a junior diver and the dive master wanted us to go to 130’ after saying 60’ max. My wife got about 30’ down and almost passed out due to contaminated air, the D.M. was nowhere in site, off flirting with young girls. No O2 or any safety gear for that matter on the boat, the "Captain" nor the D.M. spoke a word of English, which is not a problem, unless you need to convey information on the boat. Oh ya they only had 2 lb. weights, not a problem if you only need 4 lb., I need 18.... This may have been a isolated dive shop, however since we have talked to other divers who share some of the same experiences.
Subscribed
SHARIJ526 - 5/08/2014 9:44 AM
OMG! It’s hard to read that! They should NOT be in business!
I’ve read soooo many BAD reviews from VERY experienced divers, I’m really apprehensive.
Thanks for the info!