Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Looking for descriptive, anectdotal stories about...
BottomFishin - 9/28/2013 11:27 AM
Category: General
Replies: 1

I am currently working on the design for my website, divecertified.com, which promotes dive instruction.

I would like to add a page that is a compilations of stories, descriptive and anecdotal in nature, describing divers experiences while training for various certifications.

i.e. "I was about 5 min. in to my 1st wreck dive during my Advanced Certification Training, and we were exploring an area of the center of the ship, where it broke in 2 as it sank. As we hovered about 15ft off the sand, peering into the belly of the ship, we could see movement, hauntingly lit by the reduced light at 100ft. I watched eagerly, my instructor by my side signaling for me keep watching the opening as he knew what was lurking in the darkness.

As I watched with anticipation, an extremely large figure started to take shape. I recognized this fish from reading about the local dive environment, I identified it as a Goliath Grouper. I had read that these protected fish were big, but seeing one up close was like going back in time. I was 10 feet from a prehistoric looking fish the size of a VW bus. He was not a threat to me, this I knew from my dive briefing. I looked at my Instructor, and I could tell by his eyes he was smiling. After surfacing, I couldn’t stop talking about seeing this awesome fish!..."

This is just an example, it happened to me while diving the "Castor" here in Boynton Beach, FL...It was not, however, a cert. dive, I was with a buddy, not an Instructor.

I look forward to reading your stories!!

If you have questions, feel free to e-mail me at Jamisen@divecertified.com
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 10/30/2013 11:23 AM
Stan Waterman told a story with film of course about
being in Bermuda on a boat loaded with students doing their first two open
water dives.

The giant stride put them right in front of a whale shark,
they promptly got right back on the boat! After they were convinced that the whale
shark was harmless they spent the entire dive with it, snorkeled with it during
the SI and then dove with it again for the second dive. Where do you go from
there?

My most memorable cert dive for all of the wrong reasons
was when I showed up at a quarry for the rescue class and it was frozen over so
it became an ice dive. Something like the joke about the dive boat sinking and
the PADI instructor announcing that there would be an extra charge for the
wreck cert!

There was just a story in the news recently about a kid in Florida finding an acient dug out canoe during an OW training dive.