Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

FitBit Users?
FrankieD - 4/01/2013 7:36 AM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 5

Are there any other FitBit users out there? http://www.fitbit.com/

When I started diving, I quickly learned that I needed to make some other choices too. I was 43, smoking and overweight. While I’m an accomplished swimmer and Army Vet who had been an avid runner, I was not, in my opinion, dive healthy. To complicate matters, while in the Army I suffered a broken back and underwent spinal fusion of several of my lower vertebra and have some minor Nero deficit in my feet. Dive equipment can be heavy and cumbersome. I have to pay special attention to how I handle my gear so that I don’t throw my already weaken back out.

Not to be deterred, we took our open water certification. I LOVED it so I committed to get myself healthier so I can dive safe and not spend days recovering. My first step was to quit smoking. I went on the patch and committed to giving it up. Not an easy task when most of your co-workers smoke but I knew I had to quit and I did. I am 6 months smoke free and don’t have any urges. I should have done it 20 years ago!

After giving up smoking, I started to compensate by eating. Soon I saw my waist line budging. Again, I saw a problem and committed to doing something about it. No fad diets for me, I need to make a permanent change.

1. Start eating better, no soda, more water. Better choices equals results.

2. Eating just enough to not be hungry and not stuffing myself. Control gives me more eating options.

3. Move more! This is where the fitbit came in to play.
I started easy; my goal was 5000 steps per day. After a month or so, 5000 step came so easy, I didn’t even have to try so, I doubled my goal, 10,000 steps per day or about 5 miles per day. Now I schedule three breaks per day to walk and reach or exceed this goal regularly. Often my average weekly steps are 12,000/day. I know try and keep my fitbit in my pocket and check my progress throughout the day. My wife also has hers and we try and compete to see who can surpass their goal first or furthest. I’m am much more aware of my activity level and tracking my weight loss helps keep me focused.

Sorry for the long read. So, is anyone else using Fitbit to get healthier?
Subscribed
dalehall - 4/02/2013 4:23 AM
I have used Fitbit. I’ve got one and I’ll wear it every so often. But, for me, it’s more of a "Good To Know" type thing than it is an actual exercise meter. I do programs such as "Insanity" and "Les Mills Combat", so the steps I take during the day don’t really add anything after I do those routines.
I was right where you were. I am also a Military vet and I had 2 quadrupal layer neck fusion surgeries. I ended up with a total of 1 bracket, 2 rods, 12 clamps and 22 screws in my neck. After my second surgery and the miltary deeming me "medically disquailfied for continued miltary service" I was forced to retire at just under 18 years. I let myself go after that. In July 2012, I walked past the mirror and looked at myself. I was shocked. I got on the scale and weighed more than I ever had in my entire life. I decided right then and there I was going to make a change. I was going to get in much better shape, I was going to lose all the extra weight (plus some) and show those military quacks they didn’t know what I was capable of. Long story short, in the last 8 months, I was able to lose all the extra weight and drop 5 lbs below my goal weight. I have completed multiple fitness programs and I have even become a Beachbody Coach to try and help others get their fitness journey. One thing I have noticed, it’s not just a diet and exercise change, it’s a lifestyle change. And, it’s a good one.
So, congrats to you on deciding to better yourself by becoming fit. Good luck on your journey and, if the Fitbit helps keep you on track, by all means, use it everyday.. Also, in case you want to work on your nutritional habits, myfitnesspal.com is another free website out there that has been a HUGE help to may of us. I have nothing to do with the site, besides being a member. I just know it has been a great help to a lot of us.
Dale
Roadking1 - 4/02/2013 10:36 AM
good point on the fitness subject. I lost a bunch of weight w "loose it" on line last year, but we need to develop healthy habits. live longer healthy lives so we can dive more. my old dive buddies were wiped out when we went on a trip. that taught me a big lesson. being in shape getting ready in advance makes travel and diving so much more enjoyable. good subject to mention here!
Subscribed
Greg - 4/02/2013 12:22 PM
Just go scuba diving more often to loose weight and track how many calories you burned here:

http://www.divebuddy.com/calculator/calories.aspx
Subscribed
FrankieD - 4/02/2013 4:55 PM
Greg, I wish it was that easy. Since my fitbit isn’t waterproof, I have used that calculator to figure up my calorie burn diving. I don’t have an issue with over eating and not exercising when I’m diving, it’s the dry periods that are making me fat and out of shape.