Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving Monterey CA April 4/4/2013
AMkee - 3/10/2013 7:17 PM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 8

Hey! I am diving Monterey April 4th with two or three friends. Was wondering if anyone would like to join us. We would love to meet new divers. We don’t know the area so if you know tips and tricks that would be amazing or if you are new to Monterey like us either way we would love to dive with you.

-Alicia
Green_Achers - 3/11/2013 6:51 AM
Where in Monterey?
Subscribed
Greg - 3/11/2013 6:57 AM
California, I will update the forum title.
Subscribed
AMkee - 3/11/2013 9:11 AM
Thank you! I should have realized when one of my own friends asked if I was going to Mexico.

Green_Achers, we havent picked what spot in Monterey. But we are open to anything. Two of the divers are not advanced and havent done any deep dives, so I guess something that doesnt go too deep.
Green_Achers - 3/11/2013 12:48 PM
That would be me and my bride’s limits as well.

I’ve been to Break Water, Still Water (which was a flop due to the conditions that day) and Loved diving Whalers Cove. There’s a ton of other places to dive and it would truly depend on what my wife wants as far as us joining anyone.

So McAbee Beach, Lover’s Point, Carmel Point, Carmel River North, Monastery Beach North, and Monastery Beach South are all places I hope to dive in the future.
Subscribed
AMkee - 3/11/2013 6:29 PM
If you two would like to join us we have no set dive spot right now so we would be willing to go wherever you would like in the Monterey area. I would love to dive Jade Cover but I know thats a bigger adventure and would save that for another day. We were hoping to fit in two or three dives in spending the whole day in Monterey.
RasArashi - 3/31/2013 3:40 PM
As Green_Achers mentioned, you should try Whaler’s Cove. You need a reservation (http://www.pointlobos.org/diving/dive-information)
as they only allow a certain number of dive teams per day - $10/person +
$10 parking I believe. But it is a beautiful spot that is not too
advanced. I strongly suggest surface swimming out beyond the cove as
there isn’t much to see inside of it. My buddy and I will be there that
week but probably not until Sunday.

Other
than that, Breakwater (especially Metridium Fields) and McAbee Beach
can be nice easy dives with some scenery. Although both of these may be
hit or miss with visibility.

Monastery Beach is probably my favorite dive spot but it can be technical to get in and out of. If you are fairly new to diving, save that one for later as the dangers about entry and exit are real.

The following link provides some driving directions and site descriptions as well - http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/CalN/ But my biggest suggestion is to talk to the local dive shop or anyone diving at the site to hear where the cool areas are.

I try to dive Monterey at least once month so if you are ever in the area again, hit me up and maybe I can show you some of the dive spots.
RasArashi - 4/08/2013 6:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, which area(s) did you end up diving and how was it?
Subscribed
AMkee - 4/08/2013 8:41 PM
I got a cold two days before the trip :( I was really too sick to go anywhere but had been planning the trip for months so i went on the trip anyways. But i know the worst thing to do is go diving when you are sick especially with how much mucus I had and I could barely breath with my asthma. Monterey was perfect though i was really sad I couldnt dive. The sun was out and the water was calm. But thank you for asking!