Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diego Garcia
SaintsReturn - 2/23/2012 10:37 AM
Category: General
Replies: 23

Why are there no dive locations near Diego Garcia? Has anyone been there, dove there? any input?
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/23/2012 2:20 PM
Are you planning on joining the Navy? Otherwise I think it’s off limits.
malibu - 2/23/2012 2:42 PM
Where is it?
Greg - 2/23/2012 2:43 PM
I never knew this place existed!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Garcia

Looks amazing. How about the US start offering dive trips here to help pay off our national debt :)
Subscribed
SaintsReturn - 2/23/2012 2:43 PM
No, I am in the finals for a job there. Waiting to hear the final word but am already exciting at the diving possibilities.
Greg - 2/23/2012 2:44 PM
Makes me want to join the Navy.
Dutch - 2/23/2012 3:17 PM
If the Navy has a base, there will be recreational diving for the sailors when they are off duty. You have to keep them entertained somehow. You may have limited areas in which to dive. Good luck.
Subscribed
SaintsReturn - 2/23/2012 8:20 PM
LOL, Greg, how did i know you would like that so much?!? If all this works, i will have to buy you another server for the pictures!
sadfish - 2/24/2012 6:23 AM
I was there in the 80s. I bet it would be awesome diving. The fishing was great!!! I would hate to see the bottom just outside the lagoon. Back then soo much crap went into the water.
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/24/2012 7:18 AM
From Dutch: If the Navy has a base, there will be recreational diving for the sailors when they are off duty. You have to keep them entertained somehow. You may have limited areas in which to dive. Good luck....
That’s how I got started, we were TDY in Bermuda. Went to MWR to check out gear, back in the 60’s it was 15 minutes of do’s and don’t’s and then down the beach with a double hose and I think it was a 63 cu. ft. tank with a J-valve, no gauges!
Greg - 2/24/2012 9:18 AM
From SaintsReturn: LOL, Greg, how did i know you would like that so much?!? If all this works, i will have to buy you another server for the pictures! ...
Instead of buying me another server, how about you buy me a trip there to come diving with you :)
Greg - 2/24/2012 9:19 AM
From sadfish: I was there in the 80s. I bet it would be awesome diving. The fishing was great!!! I would hate to see the bottom just outside the lagoon. Back then soo much crap went into the water....
What stuff did they throw into the water? Were you in the Navy then?
Dutch - 2/24/2012 5:15 PM
From LatitudeAdjustment: That’s how I got started, we were TDY in Bermuda. Went to MWR to check out gear, back in the 60’s it was 15 minutes of do’s and don’t’s and then down the beach with a double hose and I think it was a 63 cu. ft. tank with a J-valve, no gauges...
Sounds about right.
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 2/24/2012 8:51 PM
From LatitudeAdjustment: That’s how I got started, we were TDY in Bermuda. Went to MWR to check out gear, back in the 60’s it was 15 minutes of do’s and don’t’s and then down the beach with a double hose and I think it was a 63 cu. ft. tank with a J-valve, no gauges...
Question about back in those days,, Where there even BCDS back then used as the way we use them now?
sadfish - 2/24/2012 8:56 PM
From Greg: What stuff did they throw into the water? Were you in the Navy then...
I was in the Marine Corps and one of my jobs was to sink trash and 55 gal fuel drums with an M60. It was lots of fun though. We were on a landing craft so we burned through the rounds.
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/25/2012 5:49 AM
From UWnewbee: Question about back in those days,, Where there even BCDS back then used as the way we use them now...
We used old aircraft vest for BCD’s, one guy in the club cut off the straps and put the vest on his tank back pack with a longer inflator hose. Some told him to patent it, others said who would buy a BCD that floated you face down!
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 2/25/2012 3:45 PM
From LatitudeAdjustment: We used old aircraft vest for BCD’s, one guy in the club cut off the straps and put the vest on his tank back pack with a longer inflator hose. Some told him to patent it, others said who would buy a BCD that floated you face down...
If they only knew then what we know now!! guess its better to float face down than face up.
Subscribed
SaintsReturn - 2/26/2012 6:47 AM
I love how quickly a thread can grab the attention of the site :D Greg, i would love to, but as mentioned, its not public property. I hate weekends, its dragging out the suspense for me. Friday the job closed so hopefully soon i know!
sadfish - 2/26/2012 4:57 PM
If you get the job, would love to see some photos and the changes!! please
badintexas - 2/27/2012 12:06 PM
From Greg: Instead of buying me another server, how about you buy me a trip there to come diving with you :...
Haha. I KNEW Greg would say something about visiting up there instead of the server. That’s great.
badintexas - 2/27/2012 12:08 PM
From sadfish: If you get the job, would love to see some photos and the changes!! please ...
I want to see pictures and details too. Greg came to me and told me about this right after reading it. I feel that if it were public and after reading about it, we’d be packing up and moving.. He was so excited.
sadfish - 2/28/2012 7:55 AM
From badintexas: I want to see pictures and details too. Greg came to me and told me about this right after reading it. I feel that if it were public and after reading about it, we’d be packing up and moving.. He was so excited.[br /...
Yes, even back in the 80’s we all knew it was a waste of an island. It might be my most favorite spot i have ever been!!!
Subscribed
SaintsReturn - 3/28/2012 10:32 AM
And after several letters of recomendations and a good report with personnel on site, the newest employee on Diego is........."a guy who new somebody." So much for being the best qualified..... O well... It was good to see a strong thread though! I will let you know if i can score some good pictures for you guys though.
Subscribed
Jace1974 - 12/12/2012 4:23 AM
Apologies for the late entry on this. I was looking up diving info on Diego for the science folks that visit us here. To provide some info on DG, yes we have scuba diving and have since 2009. We just started a Dive Club, you can find more info on my profile, and are working with the sceince folks when they have expeditions out here. We are in the process of putting together some dive site info though as previously stated "DG" isn’t someplace you can just visit. The only ways I know of to get here are toeither have a job here or be on one of the expedition teams.

As far as the diving goes it’s comparable to the Maldives with though I would say we have a lot more wildlife given the tight restrictions on fishing. Also the Navy, here have been somewhat reluctant to embrace the scuba community. We do have some fairly heavy limitations that should go away with the recognition of the club by the command, but getting them to recognise us has been the problem. The Brits, whom the island belongs too, fully support us which is excellent just wish we could get the Navy to do what the Army has done on Kwajalein.

If you have any questions about the diving here on "DG" let me know and I’ll be happy to answer.