Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Hyper-ventalating
drifter12 - 1/27/2012 7:00 AM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 4

I recently went diving out of Islemorada Key All dives were good except the last one on a contract boat. The ocean was very rough ( 8- 10’ ) and I spent to much time at Rum Runners the night before. Anyway, I was feeling a little sick when I stepped off the boat, realized I did not have enough weight to submerge, so I waited for everyone to exit the boat to go back for more weight I was really getting tossed around and swollowed a bunch of sea water. I could not catch my breath after getting the weight and submerging. Question ?? How to you correct a hyperventalation under water ? The dive was 90 ’ I scrubbed at about 45’ and quit for the day. Just could not catch my breath, never has happened to me before. Any advice appreciated ! ’
Subscribed
Greg - 1/27/2012 8:11 AM
In that situation, it would be near impossible to catch your breath underwater. The dehydration you probably had from a night at Rum Runners, combined with the physical exertion of waiting on the surface in rough seas, combined with the anxiety of a deep dive...means that you are lucky to be alive. I wouldn’t have dove after a night of too many drinks. I absolutely wouldn’t have gone underwater after the initial start you described.

Next time that happens, just call off the dive and chill out on the boat.
Lonefrogman - 1/27/2012 8:24 AM
You did the right thing, you can dive another time. To much rum? Dehydration? Anxiety? "
I was really getting tossed around and swollowed a bunch of sea water. I could not catch my breath after getting the weight and submerging. " I’m guessing the last one. Your profile gives no information on your diving history.

Our desire to breath is a build up of C02, as our body builds up C02 it causes our body to breath making short, shallow and fast breaths. The more you hyperventilation the worse it gets as the C02 increases.
WarmWaterTurner - 1/27/2012 12:43 PM
Good decision to thumb the dive. The one time that I felt oxygen starved was after chasing a barracuda for a picture. I have learned to stop everything that I am doing. Hold still. Focus completely on taking long, slow breaths. I do a three count on the inhale and a three count on the exhale. I will continue to do this until the CO2 drops and breathing and relaxation returns to normal. It sounds like you were completely stressed from waves, weight and too much fun the night before. And one more thought - 8 to 10 off the back of the boat is bad news on a good day!
John_giu - 1/27/2012 1:34 PM
From WarmWaterTurner: Good decision to thumb the dive. The one time that I felt oxygen starved was after chasing a barracuda for a picture. I have learned to stop everything that I am doing. Hold still. Focus completely on taking long, slow breaths. I do a three count on the inhale and a three count on the exhale. I will continue to do this until the CO2 drops and breathing and relaxation returns to normal. It sounds like you were completely stressed from waves, weight and too much fun the night before. And one more ...
I’m scrubbing the DAY in eight to ten foot seas. I love diving but I’m not stupid.