Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Bonaire July 16-23!
Seawolf5 - 7/26/2011 10:05 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 6

Greetings, Divers!

Just returned from Bonaire, The island of Bon Bini! Water was great, 84 to 89 degrees in some areas. Stayed @ the Buddy Dive Resort, had a good time. Went to the following shore dive sites, Karpata, 1,000 steps (even if there are only about 68 steps or so, they feel like a thousand with your gear on!!!) Weber’s Joy (Witches Hut), Jeff Davis Memorial, Andrea I & II, Small Wall, Buddy’s Reef (of course!!!), The Hilma Hooker wreck, Aquarius, Salt Pier (this was a special night dive), Invisibles, Vista Blue and Red Slave. On the boat dives we went to Klein Bonaire and did Bonaventure, South Bay, Carl’s Hill, and Knife. Overall a pretty good trip, already planning for the next one at the shop. Possibility we are going to Honduras in October, I know, I know, I am despicable, dang it!!!

Seawolf5 out!
Subscribed
mbchiro - 8/23/2011 10:10 AM

Sounds great, we are leaving next week for a week there. Those sites were on my list. Any restr. recommendations or other tips would be appreciated.

Subscribed
Seawolf5 - 8/23/2011 2:43 PM
Greetings, mbchiro! Regards to all at home! When you go to Bonaire, let’s say you are doing a surface interval from one of your shore dives on the South side, coordinate with your buds and take a drive to Lac Bay to the restaurant there. The place is great and the food super. If you haven’t been before, you should. You won’t regret it, as we didn’t (we went twice). Safe diving!
Subscribed
mbchiro - 8/23/2011 4:26 PM
Seawolf5 hello to you as well. When you went diving did you carry multiple tanks in your rental truck and leave them in the bed, while you dove? What about if you were between dives and ate like you recommeded. I hear that looters will take everything but the paint off the truck and the seats and to leave nothing. My wife and I were a bit concerned about that. Did you do one dive, then return tanks, get two more and repeat??? I didn’t know if the tanks getting stolen were a problem.
Subscribed
Seawolf5 - 8/23/2011 6:54 PM
Hola, Mbchiro!! Saludos to all. Have been to Bonaire 3xs, stayed @ the Buddy Dive Resort and NEVER had a problem w/ any gear missing from our truck while diving or while on a break as in the restaurant. Usually when we are going for the shore dips, we take all of our tanks w/ us to avoid the driving back & forth. No one has ever messed w/ our gear. Just make sure you follow some basic rules: don’t carry any excess cash and what you carry, keep in a waterproof case, leave the truck windows down at the shore dive site, avoid flashing "stuff" around. This we did, given that my roomate and I are ex-soldiers, we posted someone as a quick lookout and then hid the truck keys and our loose cash at a marked spot near the truck (basic tactical fieldcraft, not part of the resort’s briefing) and, upon returning, kept an eye for any new arrivals @ the site, recovered our keys and continued w/ the diving mission. Safety is still numero uno! Never heard of tanks getting stolen as of yet on my trips. Not to say it won’t happen but, they are are serial numbered and they can easily be checked among the shops. A tank can easily be replaced, you can’t so I would not worry too much about it, just be aware of your surroundings and dive safe. Hope this helps a bit. Enjoy!
Subscribed
mbchiro - 8/24/2011 7:03 AM

Sounds good. Former squid here. Wondering though, isn’t it dangerous to leave the tanks in the sun, while diving? Trying to figure this out prior to the trip. Funny thing, my wife and I have found the most worn out towels and t-shirts to take and change post-dive into that nobody would ever think about stealing. We got some small WP cases to put keys, card, id in. We are not planning on any deep dives so they should be fine. Hope we don’t get delayed by Irene flying out of Charlotte Sat.

Subscribed
Seawolf5 - 8/24/2011 2:25 PM
Hello Mbchiro!

Funny you should mention about the old towels, as we did nearly the same w/ old pieces of tarp that we found nearby, and we used them to keep the tanks cool while we were on our first dive, good idea you have, follow it through! If you have the presence of mind, wet the towels before hand and/ or take some water w/ you, and don’t forget to freeze some water overnight for you guys to drink after the dive, it is a must in that weather. - Seawolf5