Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

No New Drilling Act
scuba165 - 4/11/2011 10:54 AM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 4

For those who are concerd about our oceans that we dive in, and for those who dive in the New England/East Coast, Please support the No New Drilling Act. You can contact eather Zach Alton or Ben Hayman for more info on Oceana’s No New Drilling Act. at zalton@oceana.org or bhayman@oceana.org 

So if you like diving in the Oceans of the east coast and want to continue vewing the beautyfull underwater sea life from the Gulf of ME to the Florida Keys like I do, please don’t hasatate and Contact Oceana and help support the No New Drilling Act.
Subscribed
Greg - 4/11/2011 3:19 PM
I have to admit, I’m pretty mixed on this issue. On one hand, I don’t want another BP type disaster in the ocean. On the other hand, I don’t want to be dependent on other countries for oil. So how about we protect the oceans and drill more in Alaska and Colorado?
Subscribed
scuba165 - 4/12/2011 9:17 AM
Oceana does not what any new oil wells dug, they are talking about Wind Farms out at sea and land.
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/13/2011 7:29 AM

I have mixed feelings on this too having dived on oil rigs, they support all kinds of life assuming they don’t leak!

Although Oceana supports wind farms which would support the same kinds of marine growth on their structure one NJ enviromental group, Clean Ocean Action is against them for some strange reason claiming they are an eyesore. How many tourist could see them that far offshore or tell the difference between them and a sailboat mast is beyond me.
Subscribed
chazrich - 4/13/2011 1:41 PM
As someone from Colorado, I have to say that drilling more there is not a good option. In the past few decades the drillers found a pretty good source for natural gas in Colorado, especially in the Uncompagre Plateau. The problem is they rode roughshod into Colorado and started popping wells in on every empty desert hilltop they could find, hoping gas would rush up from the ground. Drillers out there call this "stabbing" wells. The problem is they run around punching holes and move on when a hill proves unproductive, leaving all their unwanted junk behind. Before the stabbers came the clear cut loggers to the same regions, which is why much of the region is desert today. Before the loggers were the yellow cat (uranium) miners, who left their mill tailings for us to clean up later at the cost of millions of taxpayer dollars.

So, when will we finally wake up and realize they aren’t doing this FOR us, but rather TO us? And when will we learn that these idiots almost always leave a mess behind that will cost the taxpayers more to clean up than the companies at fault paid in taxes and permits in the first place. I guarantee that if we required these morons to put a hefty deposit in escrow for the restoration of the land after they are finished and make them carry enough insurance to clean up stuff like the deep water horizon, most of them would plan their drilling a little better or not do it at all.