Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

3 mm suit
OUBobcat - 10/12/2010 10:34 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 15

I am looking to get a 3 mm suit to use next summer. I am considering ScubaPro, Akona, Neosport, and Bare wetsuits. I have used the Akona suit before. Does anyone have any info on the other 3? I saw on previous posts that the Bare and Neosport suits had sealing issues around the wrist and ankles. Is this true and how are the seals on the ScubaPro suits? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
Adam
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 10/13/2010 7:02 AM

Fit is more important than brand and don’t try to save money by going to a surf shop, the seals on them are made to drain when they get back up on the board.

I have two 3mils jumpsuits, an old Oceanic back zip and a newer Henderson front zip. I think the front zip is cooler but if you get too warm on a dive you can unzip it, not with a back zip.
DeepAddiction - 10/13/2010 8:29 AM
I have a Bare Elastek 3mm that is my day in day out suit. It isn’t the cheapest suit out there for sure but it is great. In particular the sizing options, I where a an XL suit through the chest and shoulders but I am only 5’11", so a stock XL suit is a little to long in the legs. Bare’s XL Short size option fits me like a custom suit, I mean PERFECT. Other than that, they are WETsuits so you are going to feel the water somewhat.
Greg - 10/13/2010 4:49 PM
I can’t recall the brand right now...but I have a 3mm wetsuit designed for surfers that has all the seams sealed. I highly recommend looking for a wetsuit with sealed seams. Improves the warmth and durability of the suite.
Subscribed
m_grieco - 10/13/2010 8:22 PM
My wife and I both wear Henderson Thermoprene suits and they are very warm (for a 3mm suit), comfortable, and easy to get on and off. They are not the cheapest suits, but I can honestly say they were the most comfortable suits in the store. I went to the physical store of leisurepro.com, and tried on a ton of suits, cressi, bare, scubapro, pinnacle, and henderson suits, and the manager recommended the thermoprene and I have not been disappointed with it. I’ve got 40 dives on the suit, dove the Red Sea in winter (about 72 degrees) others were wearing 5mm and thicker suits with hoods. Give it some thought, I’d buy it again (in a thinker size) if that means anything.
Subscribed
Ted_H - 10/13/2010 8:58 PM
I have a 3mm neosport suit that is ok. I mainly use it for surfing and free diving in the spring and fall. It stays warm for the most part. The seams are not sealed on it, and I think it would make a big difference in warmth if they were.
Subscribed
csemenko - 10/13/2010 10:11 PM
I recommend spending the extra cash and getting a Waterproof (the brand) wetsuit. They have a liner to allow them to slide off and on easily along with wrist and ankle seals.
Subscribed
chazrich - 10/14/2010 7:27 AM
I love my 5mm Akona semi-dry suit. It fits like a glove and just seems better made than my other wetsuits. I would expect the same from their 3mm.
Subscribed
Dusty - 10/17/2010 12:00 PM
I kinda like my Pinnacle wet suit.
Subscribed
OUBobcat - 10/17/2010 5:57 PM
From Dusty: I kinda like my Pinnacle wet suit.

I have a 5mm Pinnacle ME and absolutely love it. Its so warm. I have had it at 50 feet with a thermocline temp of 58 and been hot. However, I think the 3mm version would be a little bit too warm for 80-85 deg waters.
Subscribed
Dusty - 10/17/2010 7:24 PM
That’s what I have also is a 5mm Pinacle wetsuit. I went 100’ at 50 degree water without a problem either.
Subscribed
ANUWCNJ - 10/19/2010 2:13 PM
Try Waterproof, the quality is good and the prices are low.
Subscribed
Dusty - 10/20/2010 4:55 PM
I was going 2 look into getting a Waterproof wet suit. Isn’t that the wet suit that comes from the mfg. with a front zipper? If so how do U like the suit itself?
Subscribed
OleCrab - 3/29/2016 10:47 AM
Check out wetsuitwearhouse.com, they have a variety of suits to choose from plus instructional videos.

I have three Pinnacle wetsuits, 5mm, 3mm & V-Skin. All are sized to King-1 due to my manly figure.
Subscribed
OleCrab - 3/29/2016 10:51 AM
BTW OUBobcat, I use LS moister wicking t-shirts for rash guard in 80-85 degree water. Unless your prone to getting cold quick, think about a rash guard type suit.