Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Maclearie Park NJ Dive—Back Bay-Saturday , May 21st
BeekeeperGreg - 5/20/2016 7:39 AM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 6

High tide around 8 am. Fluke season opens and the rain looks like it is later in the morning closer to lunch.
This is a very easy dive, close free parking, easy water access, good for trying new equipment.
Expect water temp 55 F
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 5/20/2016 8:56 AM
Not sure I will make it - looks like I will dive tonight at 8 pm’ish in the inlet...

I am thinking tonight may be a better dive - will let you know the viz if I go.
m_grieco - 5/20/2016 4:17 PM
I have to work tomorrow, I would have considered it if you were doing it Sunday.
BeekeeperGreg - 5/20/2016 4:33 PM
The the forcast is: Rain starting around lunch tomorrow and ending Sunday late morning.
Also the winds are picking up from the east on Saturday afternoon, vis could get worse for Sunday.

I’ve have tenitive plans already made for Sunday, but it they change I would consider Sunday.

DiverfromBaskingRidge - 5/21/2016 8:56 AM
Dove Last Night - squeezed in two dives - with Tom and Kevin

Dove Shark River Inlet at high tide - 7:48pm - got in a tad late 7:55pm but the viz was very good - 6 foot or so. Stuck around under the bridge due to all the fishermen on the Inlet and this being the first inlet dive for my son. His dive light started acting up on him so we cut the dive relatively short - 20 min - max depth 16 feet - min temp 51 feet.

Had 2000 psi left so we went to Maclearie Park and dove. 9:01 pm - got in the water - 27 min dive - max depth 12 feet - min temp 53 degrees - viz about 4 feet maybe 5 feet. Saw 3 seahorses (native species not tropicals) and a skate with brown stripe markings - really cool. Lots of flounder but season opens on 5/21 so we left them alone.

Good dive and dive buddies - got two dives out of one so that was a plus too...

Mike - I will give you a shout if we do another night dive...
m_grieco - 5/21/2016 11:49 AM
You had me at seahorses ;). I am definitely interested in doing a night dive...if you’re heading down, I could see if I can make it. I could probably get in a dive tomorrow (morning or evening). So if you want to go, I’m game. I have new floats on my camera rig, so I want to make sure I get my own weight dialed in as normally that thing is negatively buoyant, hoping now it’s neutral. Let me know what you decide (if you’re heading down shoot me a text as I do have my cell phone on me.
BeekeeperGreg - 5/21/2016 1:54 PM
Good dive with DB Howard. 7 ’ vis , water temp around 50F. Many Fluke and nice size.
Puffer fish.