Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Luggage?!?!
Jeannette - 3/28/2007 3:56 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 6

Oh no! I need some luggage to transport my gear (and my husbands) across country for some diving we are doing. Would prefer one bag for all of our stuff, perhaps without wetsuits. Want wheels too. Any suggestions?!
DalelynnSims - 3/29/2007 6:30 AM
While there are many out there I have currently been using an Akona Boat Mesh Roller Duffel Bag. Yep has wheels, only way to travel. That said you indicated that you wanted one for both sets of gear. While this may hold it all remember there are weight restrictions and with my stuff I get close to the 50lb allotted. Weights and tanks never go, unless its a pony and the above is without that. If flying consider carrying your computer(s) if you have them. I really don`t like putting them in the gear bag and would loathe to see them come up missing. Just got back from SWA and it did well for the trip there and back as well as others. My $.02 worth. Best Fishes [ Dalelynn http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_1051/Context_965/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/AKNBMR.html?Hit=1
Waterskier1 - 3/30/2007 9:53 AM
I bought a large bag to travel with, and after getting it about 2/3 full, I wieghed it, and it was 105 pounds! Airline restricts weight to 50 pounds. Now, when I travel with that bag, it`s less than 1/3 full. Might consider getting a medium size bag, versus a huge one. Even when I`m not flying, it can be a real pain to haul a 100+ pound bag up the stairs to the motel room.
SkinandScuba - 4/05/2007 7:58 PM
My suggestion is a hard container such as a storm case. They are heavy, but will protect your gear from the bad handling that airlines and ground crew give to your gear. I pay for overweight luggage every trip I fly. For the extra protection the heavy carry case gives, I will pay the overweight charges.
DiveGirl55 - 4/16/2007 3:55 PM
MARES has a GREAT new luggage with wheels. Very sturdy, and TWO fin pockets! I love mine!
kcdiver - 4/16/2007 10:40 PM
I`ve got an akona also and it does a great job but do wish i would have got one with fin pockets on the outside. with all my other gear things get tight with my fins in there also. I do agree with some of the other notes also, if you own a dive computer carry it with you, and a bag that is big enough for 2 sets of gear will give you weight problems at the airport and will not be fun to lift when you have to pick it up.
DiveGirl55 - 5/23/2007 9:47 AM
http://www.scuba.com/shop/diving.asp_cat_26_scuba_1_gear_018183_pn_MARES-TECHNOMAD-135-ROLLER-BACKPACK