Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Snorklers too?
malibu - 9/12/2008 6:20 PM
Category: General
Replies: 2

Dibe Buddy is a social web site for scuba divers only. What about snorklers? Should DB also have an area for them? (sorry Greg, I know its more work for you) I have told some friends about db and they said they dont dive, but do smorkle. To get more people interested in this sport, should dive buddy do something to include these people into this fantastic site? 
Spearo - 9/12/2008 7:59 PM
Maybe if we call them "free divers" From there to scuba divers is a card away. : )
coralreefpainter - 9/14/2008 6:34 AM

I knew a dive boat captain on Bonaire about five years ago. Once he was telling me he drove the boat all week for a group of more than 25 snorkellers. He he said he really enjoyed them, even tho’ they’d get in the water, and just not come back for two hours or more. We all know some dive boat captains have a short fuse, and want everyone out of the water within 45 minutes!

Anyway, he said they were all in their seventies and eighties!

Many people cannot dive for various reasons. Before I became an instructor, I didn’t know how many people have epilepsy, and various lung problems.

I use up the last bit of my air in water shallower and shallower. Just yesterday, I saw three fish that I’m still trying to identify. They were either huge Palometas, or possibly juvenile Permits. I’ve seen all sorts of wonderful things in five feet or less, on Bonaire, full sized Rainbow Prrotfish, Ft Lauderdale, big Southern Rays and Barracudas. And I’ve found dive watches, jewelry and money!

Snorkelling, and ending a dive in shallow-shallow water, is not to be missed.

Whew, off soapbox.

CRD.