Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Cape Ann, MA diving
joe_bird - 3/25/2022 4:42 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 1

I am traveling with my family to Massachusetts 5/28-6/5 and planning to try and get away with my wife for some shore diving around Cape Ann. I have heard a lot about diving in Cape Ann and I am a Massachusetts native, but I got certified after leaving Mass for the Marine Corps and never settled down back home since, always opting for warmer clients (zero regrets about that lol). Bottom line is I never spent enough time since certifying to have the opportunity to dive there. So I want to hear from those with experience in the area any recommendations, things to know, points of interest, info on conditions, reputable shops, etc. Boat charter information welcome also, not set on shore diving Cape Ann.

For background, I have plenty of experience in cold water and low vis around Southern California and Arizona. While my wife has significantly less experience in those areas (preference for the clearer and warmer waters instead), she is still a competent diver in her own right. My wife and I both have all our own gear and will only need tank rentals. For exposure protection, we are planning for 7mm wetsuit gear. We don’t have drysuits and not going to spend the money on the gear, and training, for something we will rarely ever use unless it’s absolutely needed for the dive.
Eric_R - 3/27/2022 2:09 PM
Hi Joe,
My sons and I have dove Old Garden Beach and Folley Cove. Both are great places to dive. 7mm suit is fine. There’s plenty to see at both locations. I was impressed with the amount of Sand Dollars at Folley Cove. Both locations have plenty of Lobster.