Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Glue-On Thigh Pockets
EricM - 7/21/2015 1:32 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 7

I ordered some glue-on thigh pockets under the assumption that there would be some detailed instructions, but there weren’t any. Have any of you ever done this? How did you clamp the pouches down to the suit while the glue dried, without damaging the suit?
sandman2053 - 7/21/2015 4:22 AM
No experience with them, but my suggestion would be to use 3 pieces of wood.
Placing one piece inside the leg of the suit. Then one outside at the back of the leg. I would probably place a piece of cardboard wraped in plastic inside the pocket( to protect from gluing the pocket. And then the final piece of wood on top of the pocket.

Then just clamp it all down.
PS, if you don’t have clamps you could buy the return just don’t damage package. Or just use your weights to press it.
LatitudeAdjustment - 7/21/2015 6:15 AM
I added a knife sheath to my old wetsuit that way with a few changes. I filled an old soda bottle with water and put it in the leg so gluing wouldn’t change the shape of the suit. Smeared on the AquaSeal, put the sheath which was made out of and old cut up wetsuit, covered it with wax paper and then held it down with a lot of soft weights till dry.
OleCrab - 7/21/2015 11:19 AM
madmosche has a good method. I would use an ace bandage over the saran wrap to maintain pressure.
Eric_R - 7/21/2015 1:40 PM
Is this a wet suit or a dry suit?
Subscribed
EricM - 7/22/2015 11:22 PM
From Eric_R: Is this a wet suit or a dry suit?

it is an Aqualung Aquaflex 5mm wetsuit.
Subscribed
EricM - 7/22/2015 11:35 PM
Thank you for all of the really great suggestions, and techniques. I have the phone number of the person who has the same suit as I do, who has successfully attached the pockets to his suit, but I would just about rather take a kick in the nads than talk to someone on a phone, especially if I don’t know them that well. I keep hoping to run in to him up at the dive shop, but I am going to have to bite the bullet and give him a call.