Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Why did you get certified through the organization you did?
Scuba-Stu - 6/01/2014 6:35 AM
Category: General
Replies: 3

When you 1st decided to learn to dive why did you choose the organization (PADI, SDI, NAUI, SSI. etc.)?
Was it because that was what was available or some other reason? In my case it was a choice of PADI or NAUI and the NAUI program was too costly at the time so I went with PADI.
Eric_R - 6/01/2014 6:37 PM
Heard by word of mouth that the staff at the NAUI dive shop were awesome and the staff at the PADI dive shop were not so awesome. After 27 years that view has only changed by the fact that the original PADI shop has closed and now there’s a new PADI shop in town that has some pretty awesome staff. Their only problem is the funky hours their running. I can’t afford to waste time going to a shop that might be open but do enjoy talking with the staff when they are.
Subscribed
btw2459 - 6/02/2014 3:23 AM
Only decided to learn to dive because my wife and I thought it was something our son would like to do (after we saw that the local dive shop had offered two OW classes at a silent auction). At the time I wasn’t that keen on the idea (different story now). The shop is a PADI affiliated shop so hence all the training I’ve done is through PADI. In the end i don’t think that it is the training organization that’s important. It’s the instructor that makes the class and I ’ve had some great instructors throught the last few years.
Subscribed
John_giu - 6/02/2014 8:41 AM
On a whim at Sandals I took a resort course, they are PADI.
No worse or better for a recreational diver.