Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Red Sea diving
GeoffreyW - 3/13/2008 2:25 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 3

Hello, I am stopping in Cairo in April and was wondering if anyone has been diving in the north part of the Red Sae? I hear it is about an hour flight from Giza or Cairo. Thanks, Geoffrey
Dona - 3/13/2008 7:20 PM
I dived in Hurghada last June, which may be further south than where you are planning to go. Sharm el Sheikh area, to the north, is very popular - but much more crowded.
okmister1 - 3/16/2008 9:12 AM
I spent 6 months stationed just outside of Sharm El Sheik with the peacekeeping mission there. I got qualified and 29 dives in at the time, most with Red Sea Diving College in Naama Bay. When I got home to Oklahoma and showed my pictures to a dive instructor buddy of mine, he told me that I learned to dive in his wet dreams. The Red Sea has one of the most unspoiled reef systems in the world because it`s a protected park. The Thistlegorm is a must dive. It`s a freighter that was sunk in WWII. There are trucks, train engines, weapons, motor cycles... the works on that wreck down in the 100 to 120 foot range. If you get a chance to dive there, DO IT!