Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Uemis Dive Computer
BC - 1/20/2013 6:07 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 6

I have a dive computer question.

Has anyone heard of or used a UEMIS DIVE COMPUTER??? is this computer available in the U.S. of A.???

UEMIS is Made in Switzerland... WWW.UEMIS.COM

Just wondering what the feeling is on this particular dive computer.
Subscribed
Rich-D-Fish - 1/20/2013 9:49 PM
I test drove one from Hollywoodivers about 8 months ago. It seemed to work just fine. My ultimate reasons to not buy it were it was bulkier on my arm that I prefer (I currently use an Aeris Epic), it was impossible to read the screen near and on the surface in sunlight (later found out that I could have turned up the screen brightness but didn’t know how at the time), and the wrist strap was too slippery and the computer kept sliding around no matter how tight I made it. So, yes they are available in the US, and no I didn’t like it for the $, but I only made two dives on it. Not sure if this helps.
LatitudeAdjustment - 1/21/2013 10:04 AM
I was looking into one when my wife was taking her open water but a DM in the class killed that and nearly her which killed me upgrading when she got one of my computers :(

I found an English shop with a better price even with the shipping but I was under the impression UEMIS had since folded.
Subscribed
BC - 1/21/2013 10:10 AM
The company is still around just not much information.
LatitudeAdjustment - 1/22/2013 5:42 AM
" I’ll stick with a well known company that my local shop sells."

Usually good advice but that’s how ScubaPro started, private labeling other companies products before they bought their computer manufactuer :) Uemis has actually been around a long time and made one of the earliest dive computers back when they were a brick.
pogiguy05 - 2/01/2013 9:04 AM
I will tell you of my experience of owning a UEMIS. First there are some who have issues with the computer and others who have not had one thing go wrong with them. Currently a couple of guys have bought the bankrupt UEMIS company and are trying to get it off the ground. With my computer I have had to have the battery replaced TWICE so far since I have owned it. I have also read posts where people have issues when taking it on a plane and it gets stuck in a dive mode. The solution to this is to have a sealed container to take it onto a plane. The second time I had the battery replaced I sent to Switzerland to the new company. It took almost 5 months to get it back and the communication with them is not very good. When they did send it back they did NOT charge the unit so when I took it out, it still did not start up. I emailed them and that is when they informed me that they do not fully charge them before shipping them out. Would have been nice if someone would have told me that. Actually the computer showed up in a package one day without any warning. They did not send an email telling me it was fixed and coming back. The one good thing so far is they said they would send me an invoice for the charges which was going to be around $175 and I have yet to get one. So as to date and I can only guess they did it for free.Unfortunately I had my transnitter for the UEMIS stolen so I cannot use the computer until I replace it. I have yet to find a place that will sell them. The UEMIS website still does not have an online store. In my honest opinion I would wait a long while to see where this company goes before you drop that kind of money.