Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Say thanks to our troops
Divinandjeeps - 11/07/2007 5:40 PM
Category: General
Replies: 7

ok Divers...I checked this out at snopes.com and this is true...so go do this PLEASE!!! Send as many cards as you want, and send them often. Our troops need to know we love and appreciate them. Something cool that Xerox is doing If you go to this web site, www.LetsSayThanks.com you can pick out a thank you card and Xerox will print it and it will be sent to a soldier that is currently serving in Iraq . You can`t pick who gets it, but it will go to some member of the armed services. How AMAZING it would be if we could get everyone we know to send one!!! This is a great site. Please send a card. It is FREE and it only takes a second.
DiveRex - 11/07/2007 6:20 PM
Amen Sister!!! I know there are divers here who have been deployed to Iraq and elsewhere as I have been. And I have soldiers in my unit that are deployed right now. It would be great to be able to let these troops know how much we really care around the holiday season.
Snappahead - 11/08/2007 4:19 PM
How about going to www.anysoldier.com and "adopting" a Soldier, Marine, Airman or Seaman? There are thousands of troops on that site--looking for letters, supplies, etc.--anything from Home. I adopted a squad of soldiers --it was one of the most satisfying things I`ve ever done.
Snappahead - 11/08/2007 4:30 PM
Here`s what i posted on scubaboard a while ago: http://www.anysoldier.com/WhatToSend.cfm Use this to get a general idea. What I did was to go to Walmart on Saturday morning and load up a cart: Wet wipes deodorant toothbrush/toothpaste q tips body wash (strong fragrances - old spice/Axe, etc.) foot powder shampoo Sunscreen (some areas) All the things *we* use from day to day when we shower/groom. In terms of food: Dinty Moore canned stew (individual size) Tuna Hormel Ready to Eat dinners (i think like Chicken Stew, etc.) Ramen Beef Sticks (i.e. like Pepperidge Farm) Candy/Gum (individually wrapped/separate packages) Cookies (non chocolate) Crackers (Ritz) JERKY (HUGE FAVORITE) **Remember: some of our "guys" over there are women and I know they appreciate feminine hygiene products** Basically, the idea is to cruise the food/snack aisles and pick up anything that they can generally throw in a backpack on patrol, etc. All these guys really want is something to remind them of home...... I even managed to get a supply of sunglasses over to them. If you`re thinking of doing it....just DO it. I adopted 10 of `em (same squad) on a 12 month deployment. I even sent `em a Christmas Tree for the holidays.....(they loved it). It was probably one of the most rewarding things I`ve ever done--and a very small price to pay considering the sacrifices they and their families have made/are making. Don`t forget to include your email address to--in most instances, it`s too much of a pain to write and easier to email. It`s been just over a year since they`ve come back (all of `em safely)--and their SSG is now among the best friends I`ve ever had.
Snappahead - 11/08/2007 4:31 PM
As you can see, i feel strongly about the subject! LOL
Subscribed
Divinandjeeps - 11/08/2007 5:10 PM
I agree with ya! I know guys over there and they would definatley appreciate stuff from home! Any links that you have that we can help send these guys stuff...please post ASAP!! Christmas is coming and the they would appreciate gifts of ANY kind!!
okmister1 - 11/11/2007 9:57 AM
You`re welcome

Couldn`t resist.
Laurie - 11/11/2007 5:36 PM
For the past few years I have adopted a soldier through, Adoptaplatoon.com. Although, I`m not a fan or a supporter of the war, I do support our soldiers and this is my way of showing my admiration. I`m happy to answer any questions about this program if anyone is interested.