Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Cold Water
k-lambertus - 3/25/2011 9:27 PM
Category: Training
Replies: 4

Doing my first dry suit and cold water dive tomorrow morning. Air temp is to be about 15F but there is no ice. My instructor is taking me out to Blue Hole where I did my open water check out dives. The coldest water i have been in is about 47 deg F in Bainbridge in October for one of my AOW check out dives. Should be fun cold but fun.
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 3/27/2011 9:06 AM
Give us a report when you get back! Welcome to the world of coldwater diving. I love it! It is really great to be able to dive all year round without losing feeling in the important "parts". :)
Subscribed
k-lambertus - 3/27/2011 2:06 PM

Well I did my dive yesterday air temp was 16F and water temp was 37F. I loved it. I just love being in the water period. My suit leaked alittle right around my chests but it wasn’t too bad. Dove for 31 min acorrding to my computer. Yeah I need to save up for a dry suit. Ther was not much to see but it was the experience that i wanted. Next dive will be some pool work with my friend to get him ready for our Cayman trip in April. My next dives should be much much warmer. I am going to try to dive 5 dives while I am down there. 4 day and 1 night dive.
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 3/27/2011 8:36 PM

16f air - OMG. When I did my ow certification at 49f and I thought that was tough. Almost embarassed to admit it now. What really amazed me was the fact that it took 33lbs of lead to get me under. I recently bought a very nice DUI Drysuit and man what a world of difference. If you are going to buy - do your homework, they are expensive but a good one will last for years to come.

Dive safe!
Subscribed
k-lambertus - 3/27/2011 8:50 PM
I used my instructors old one. It had the "O" ring seals on it the only problem I had was getting my head through the neck ring. It was actually harder to get off I think it was because I was a little cold. My instructors new dry suit is sweet. He said he can get me the entire thing, under garments, suit, gloves, and boots for a good price. I am really thinking about it