Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

How far do you go?
bullshark58 - 3/15/2010 11:16 PM
Category: Training
Replies: 2

So far I’ve made it to master diver and rescue diver. I’ve considered first going after dive master and finally instructor. I recently had bariatric surgery and have lost a toone of weight. When I see all the others whoare in the same boat I was I thought of going for instructor to help them get their cert without charging anything other then my costs. Once I found out what that would cost me I decided against it. I’m still up in the air about DM. Whats everyone’s pros and cons on DM?
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/16/2010 10:22 AM
If you are a DM on vacation do not show your DM card because they will try to buddy you up with a newbie. You didn’t help train him but will now be responsible if he makes an error!
warmwater - 3/17/2010 2:14 AM

If you want to go pro unless you are in a busy diving community you need to get to instructor level or above.

DM is the intro pro level and basically you pay get your pro status which won’t help you make any real cash but may get you some breaks on trips and gear in exchange for this you get to act as a underwater guide, safety diver and general go for and slave.

As an instructor you can work with a shop or independantly.