Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Need Dive Mask advice
DiveVibe - 5/09/2009 9:55 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 7

I am looking to get a new dive mask i have 2 i’m interestred in but need some advice.

dive mask one is an omer bandit, it has mirrored lenses, which look cool but i have 2 concerns

1 will the mirrored lenses attracked unwanted attention from eels or barracuda

2 will it be a safty issue because buddies wont be able to see my eyes

any thoughts? I would love to get any imput.

I was also looking at a new frameless mask, has anyone tried this? its inexpensive and boasts a great field of vision.

Again any imput would be appriciated.
Triggerfish - 5/10/2009 7:36 AM
Try the Mares Liquid Skin you can hardly tell its on
LatitudeAdjustment - 5/10/2009 8:01 AM
Altought having territorial fish attack themselves on your mirrored lenses would be interesting up to the point where the distracted damsel became lunch for a barracuda I would be more concerned with your buddy not being able to make eye contact.
Nitediver - 5/10/2009 9:14 AM
My son uses a tinted lense mask and you are right about seeing the eyes. I don’t have much concern only because he is not able to dive below 40’ yet due to his age(13). But he will go to a clear mask when he advances. Also I’ve never seen a diver using a tinted mask in the ocean. I would think the reflective quality acts as a lure, big lure, big fish. I tried a frameless mask, just not comfortable over long term Mares Liquid Skin is the way to go I think
DiveBuddyChgo - 5/10/2009 6:37 PM

Get a black skirted mask for all your dives.. And a low volume mask has a greater field of vision cause it fits closer to your face.

. I don’t go for the tinted lens.. But my buddy loves it on the tropical. dive trips with red lens.. And uses yellow for murky water... I don’t go for any tints cause it dark enough were I dive anyways..

I can explain the black skirt and low volume field of vision.. But I am not going to.. 

If you are a fat face guy like me then try something like the Scuba Pro frameless mask.. Mike B.
Subscribed
DiveVibe - 5/11/2009 7:59 AM
Sound advice, Thanks
Subscribed
DiveVibe - 5/11/2009 8:00 AM
Liquid skin sounds like the consensus... I’ll Google it
Subscribed
DiveVibe - 5/11/2009 8:02 AM

I’m with you on the black skirt, my first maske had a clear skirt, i’m shopping now, enough said.

Thanks for the info, it’s very helpful.