Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Class Size
1maurscuba - 4/29/2009 9:13 PM
Category: Training
Replies: 16

Hi everybody, Curious. There are 8 students in my open water class. We only get two lanes of the pool, crowded together and stepping on each others fins!! I also believe we are only doing 3 pool sessions instead of 4. Is this the norm?? Maureen
RAWalker - 4/30/2009 2:28 AM
Class sizes can vary but the operator should set limits based on all the variables. Pool work isn’t a requirement an instructor can take you into open water for skills training before your open water checkout.
Greg - 4/30/2009 10:53 AM
8 is the max class size for one PADI scuba instructor without a divemaster for assistance. You can have 10 with one divemaster assistant and 12 with two divemaster assistants.

My average class size is 4...much more manageable and fun for the students. I have had 8 students before...but when the class is that large, I either break up the open water dives OR bring in a divemaster or at least a "safety diver" (an existing certified diver that lends an extra pair of hands and eyes...not allowed to increase student/instructor ratio though).

The pool that I use is very large and will accomodate 8 divers easily. The deep end is a bit smaller...so I bring down two at a time while the other students watch and wait closer to the shallow end, facing me in the deep end (about 15 feet away from me).

Regarding the number of confined water or pool dives...there are 5 total confined water dives in PADI...some instructors will ascend and descend many more times than that. But as long as all confined water dive skills are completed you should be good.
Subscribed
1maurscuba - 4/30/2009 11:51 AM

Thanks for the info Greg, We do have a DM but I don’t think he is being utilized correctly.

I think I’ll have to do a one on one before I even think about doing checkout dives.
rebelrph - 4/30/2009 3:42 PM

If you want one on one, then request it. you should always feel comfortable about a training situation before moving on to further exercises. I am a DM and we try to stay with 4-6 students (even with instructor and DM). It speeds along the process and students spend less time waiting their turn which make it more enjoyable for everyone involved. Better ratio also increases safety aspects.

Always remember you’re doing this because it’s FUN !!

Todd
Indiana - 4/30/2009 8:31 PM
I was lucky I had 2 instructors and a divemaster for the 4 of us.My open water dives in Florida was 1on1.Just like some others have said this is fun and you need to feel comfortable in the water and with your instruction.Tell your instructor your concerns and I know they will work with you.This is a great activity.Take your time.Dive safe
Subscribed
1maurscuba - 4/30/2009 9:07 PM
Lucky indeed! An ideal situation. I’ll work something out, it’ll just take me longer. Thanks for the buddy request troy.
DalelynnSims - 5/01/2009 7:08 AM
It is just that reason that we at Brunswick Scuba limit the class sizes. Providing the basics in scuba is so important that we even provide the first of the year check out or refresher dives free. By ensuring that you have the basics down pat you can go on to do all types of diving and enjoy it so much more. With the students pays in many ways but the main way is they always come back better prepared for whatever they are ready for next. For a few of ours it’s a Cooper River trip next month. Not every body’s cup of tea in diving but it can be a thrill to do an archeology dive in limited visibility, strong current, solo. I think this says a lot about having the basics down pat.

coldwater - 5/01/2009 8:41 AM

You need to check out all your sarounding dive shops.Ask lots of quistions before you put the mony out for your certifactions. Also this web sight is very frendly and a good tool .
ScubaSystems - 5/02/2009 5:09 AM
With the class size more crowded than you feel comfortablel with, maybe you should think about finishing the class privately or with the next class, if it is smallers
Sandrabramm - 5/03/2009 6:44 PM

Good luck with your course. Number of pool sessions isn’t as important as getting the required skills down and feeling comfortable with them. A larger class normally takes more pools sessions to accomplish this verse a private or small group. Just take your time and make sure to speak up and ask for extra help if you feel you need it.

My company only teaches privates, but we do it for the additional safety and the added enjoyment for both the student and the instructor. Smaller groups means more personal attention and less stress....equals more time for FUN!!

If you are ever in WPB diving, which by the way is awesome. Look us up...Good luck you’ve picked a great sport to get into.

Sandra Brammeier - Ocean Quest Scuba

www.oceanquestscuba.com
ANUWCNJ - 5/04/2009 12:27 PM

Hey Maureen,

Even when I have 2 or more assistants, I try to limit my classes to nore more then 5 or 6 students. I enjoy the closness of a smaller class and it lets me give the individual attention that is needed as needed.

Scubaclay
BeachBrat - 5/05/2009 2:14 PM

Hi Maureen,

You are very smart! Make sure you are comfortable before you are finished. Just diving gives you some experience and that leads to comfort - once you know the basics. It just takes time. See you at Dutch 15-17th?

BeachBrat (Cathy)
Subscribed
1maurscuba - 5/05/2009 2:36 PM

Hi Cathy, I’m acutally going tonite for extra help ( feel like i’m in grammer school ) :) so we’ll see how that goes!! Probably won’t be [ at ] Dutch this time. Have to go to a funeral in Florida. :( Have fun [ at ] Dutch!
Subscribed
1maurscuba - 5/06/2009 12:39 PM
Ok, So I did a one on one last night and it went well!!! I feel so much better about everything now. I’m going again next Tuesday.
Subscribed
Smithsgold - 5/30/2016 8:32 PM
I like a smaller class 3 max