Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

where to dive in September?
dive_diva - 4/17/2009 7:35 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 11

The only time we can go for diving vacation this year is September. Where can I go and not worry about hurricanes? I am looking for any recommendations for warm water diving places in Caribbean, Pacific. Preferably not requiring days in travel to get there from US :)

I would appreciate any recommendation for places to stay too.
m_grieco - 4/17/2009 10:24 PM
Well my past two dive trips were "out there" as far as the destinations, but that diving was incredible. This past October I dove in North Sulawesi, Indonesia. My wife and I stood in on Bunaken Island (pretty remote) and we stood at the resort called Bunaken Cha Cha. The resort was wonderful, we stood there for twelve days and loved every minute of it. The Indonesian reefs are spectacular, plus you don’t have hoards of people...I think we were one of 6 people diving while there. The resort is all inclusive, the staff is wonderful, can’t say enough good things about this place. It’s not a 5 star accomodation by any means, but the rooms are very clean, they run a safe dive operation, the food is GREAT. From California you could get a flight to Singapore, then hop to Manado, Indonesia. If you’re into muck diving, Lembeh Straits is not far (like two hour drive...and that is the ONLY way to get there that I’m aware of) and is some of the best in the world. Check out ASAP tickets for cheap airfare, I have used them for my past few trips and they give wonderful prices and you can actually plan your itinerary over the phone (MUCH better than Expedia, Orbiz, and the likes). Other trip I just did was Egypt (bit farther for you being in CA...I am in NJ). But the diving there is wonderful too. I stood in Sharm el Sheikh, it was very touristy, tons of divers from Europe, but the reefs were beautiful. I stood at a resort called Oonas Dive Club. Again, nothing fancy at all, but the rooms were clean and they run a good dive operation. This is not an all inclusive place though. If money allows, I highly recommend diving in South East Asia, especially Indonesia or Malaysia. Check out my pictures if you want to get a taste of the diving in those locations (as well as some of my other adventures).
TracyF - 4/17/2009 10:56 PM

Have you thought about staying state-side and trying something off the beaten path?

There’s Flatehead Lake in Montana. 50lb trout and forests growing underwater.

I know you mentioned you were looking for warm water, but if you were to invest the same money to travel overseas into dry-suits and undergarments you’d save a bit, have an adventure most of your friends wouldn’t dream of and gain knowledge few others will ever know.

Just a thought.
divemaiden - 4/18/2009 6:12 AM
If you’re set on Carribean, the ABC islands are out of the hurricane path (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao). Warm water, great diving. The only concern might be your flight path and if you would change planes where a hurricane might be passing, e.g., Miami, San Juan, etc.
uwlover4u - 4/18/2009 8:55 AM
I agree with the last response. The ABC islands are out of the hurricane belt and the diving there in late Aug./Sept. is great. Bonaire is best but avoid flying through San Juan or Curacao at all costs. You can lose an entire day of diving and fun if there is a delay. I found out the hard way when my group got stranded at the Curacao airport for 14 hours. Fly through Atlanta. American has a direct flight to Boanire.
Nesher - 4/19/2009 1:43 AM

From uwlover4u: I agree with the last response. The ABC islands are out of the hurricane belt and the diving there in late Aug./Sept. is great. Bonaire is best but avoid flying through San Juan or Curacao at all costs. You can lose an entire day of diving and fun if there is a delay. I found out the hard way when my group got stranded at the Curacao airport for 14 hours. Fly through Atlanta. American has a direct flight to Boanire.

American no longer flies to Bonaire as of mid-March 09. Last Aug-Sep Bonaire and Curacao got hit by a Hurricane. So it’s no longer the safe bet it used to be.

I love to travel in Sep, what I normally do is wait almost till the last minute and just gauge the weather.

This year if the weather is nice, I’ll return to the Cayman Islands - Specifically Little Cayman Beach Resort.

BiancaC - 4/19/2009 10:42 AM

Hallo Diva,

here’s a great offer from us for September http://www.aquanautsgrenada.com/special.htm

Grenada is officially out of the hurricane belt (is anybody here???) We offer together with the resort refund for unused vacation portion in case of a named storm. Direct flight on American via Miami.

Happy bubbles, Peter
DiveArtist - 4/19/2009 11:54 AM
You might consider the Turks & Caicos. While they are not immune to hurricanes (they did have one last summer) they are outside the traditional hurricane belt so are less likely to be hit. I’ve gone end of August/early Sept and had great diving.
SCUBASMITTY - 4/20/2009 12:08 AM
AQUAPALMS HOTEL, RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE HILTON IN OAHU HAWAII.. ALL THE BENEFITS OF THE HILTON WITHOUT THE PRICE.. THE RE IS A FAMOUS COFFEE HOUSE ON THE CORNER, AND CHEESEBURGER IN PARADISE ONE BLOCK DOWN.. CALL JOE MCNICHOLS AT 808-220-0577

TELL HIM SMITTY SENT YOU AND ASK FOR THE SMITTY DISCOUNT !! HE AND LAVOICE WILL HELP YOU OUT WITH DIVING SOME GOOD WRECKS, THE SEA TIGER AND THE YO247

ALSO MOES REEF AND TURTLE ALLEY..
aircarl - 4/23/2009 9:21 PM
The Netherlands Antilles is below the hurricane belt and has some great diving.
Kimberly - 6/09/2009 7:50 PM
Have you considered Coco Island of the Pacific coast of Costa Rica? I was there a few years ago and the diving is phenominal! You will have to do a liveaboard since the island is essentially uninhabited. The water temperature is warm that time of year. I did the Aggressor and had a wonderful trip as well as seeing many sharks, rays, whalesharks etc.