Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

How do you keep from becoming a meal?
Dorkfish - 4/29/2007 8:05 PM
Category: General
Replies: 1

On a cert dive at a local lake today with a student I had a striper bass try to make a meal out of my 5mm left hand glove. I`ve had them be quite nosey before and often curious enough to run into my mask, but I`ve yet to have one be brave enough to get close enough to me to take a bite.

In a world of saving fresh water mussels and no touch courtesy I have a couple of ideas that I use with students to keep the daily munching at bay (it truly has only happened 1 time!). On dives in very specific locations I take along a bag of frozen peas to toss to the fish in moderation. It`s not done all the time, but some in the area do it religiously like feeding them freshwater mussels.

Do any of you have any other suggestions for entertainment value or limited feeding of the local submerged populous near dams or spillways?
bushwacker4u - 4/30/2007 3:24 AM
big stripper after ya, Well show him the hook that might scare him off , (he didn`t get big by being stupid...right?),however, it is still a fish ,so what ever you do , don`t show him the worm. hahahaha....lmao