Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

World Record Attempt
rsilva708 - 2/05/2009 6:10 PM
Category: Event
Replies: 0

I will be making an attempt at the Guinness World Record for the Longest Fresh, Open water Scuba Dive. The current record is 120 hours, and my goal is 144 hours. I will be making this record attempt as a fund raiser for the American Cancer Society. Every year I participate in the Local ACS Relay for Life, and for the past two years I have been a team captain for our local relay. Cancer has affect the lives of my family and friends, and it mean so much to me to do what I can to help a great cause.

Every year I work very hard to raise money for this event, and this year it just seemed natural to me to combine my love of Scuba Diving, and raising money for this charity.

I will be making this attempt at Haigh Quarry in Kankakee, IL. My planned start date is July 20th, 2009 with a surface date of July 26th, 2009. If all goes to plan I will surface on the date of Haigh Quarries annual Memorial / Diver appreciation event day with 144 hours of dive time.

This attempt is being done completely as a fundraiser for the ACS. No money raised will be used for the event, 100% will go to the ACS Relay For Life . Expenses for this record attempt are being covered by my own personal money and through the support of my sponsors. As of right now, it looks like the only major expense I will have out of pocket will be my drysuit. I have contacted several manufactures and as of now, none are able or willing to provide a suit, All other major gear will be provided by my sponsors.

If you would like to make a donation visit http://www.worldrecordscuba.com

If you would like to be on the support crew please go to http://www.worldrecordscuba.com/forum/ this event will need every support crew member we can get.

I will also be at Our World Underwater to promote my event. If you plan to be there, stop by and say hi. Booth 1012