Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

anti mask fog up
nutralbouy - 9/24/2008 4:50 AM
Category: General
Replies: 23

Hey everybody,

Having problems with your mask foging up?

Well I found it and it work like a charm it’s called Xog antifog www.xantifog.com Get the paste it comes in a 1/8 oz container but it will last you a year, just a little tiny bit will do it and rub it in with you fingers but remember to let it dry completely before buffering your mask with a soft cloth.
divemaiden - 9/24/2008 5:52 AM
Thanks for the info, but I found the best mask fog preventer ever, it’s free, I never run out of the stuff, and I never have to worry about forgetting or losing it. It’s called spit. :)
Greg - 9/24/2008 11:10 AM

I have to spit a lot inside my mask, then let it dry for a bit before dunking once to make my mask no fog up. If I really want a fog free mask, I use Sea Gold. It works great for one dive, then I usually apply a bit more for repetitive dives. If I forget to apply defog or a heavy dose of spit...I just flood and clear my mask about every 2 minutes...I’ve gotten pretty good at that. It’s amazing how much more enjoyable a dive is when you can see clearly!

Regarding new students...I’ve heard so many times from them that the dive was 1000 times better after they defogged their mask and they felt MUCH more comfortable underwater. So if you’re new to diving, be sure to help yourself by defogging your mask. Instructors, make sure your students have a defog solution or don’t mind spitting quite a bit before each dive. It will make the dive a lot more fun and a bit safer.
Rich-D-Fish - 9/24/2008 11:29 AM
Okay, it doesn’t look the best, but I watched my OW instructor do this and it works better than any other method I’ve tried so far. Lick it! Yes, I said lick it. Just like spit, only more effective. Shove your mug right in there and lick every square inch of that mask. I’ve tried three different liquid defogs and this works better I swear. Only it looks a little gross to those on the other side of the window ;-)
iScuba - 9/24/2008 12:19 PM
i’ve tried about 5 different "anti-fog" products including home remedy toothpaste, spitting, and underwater mask clear, all to no avail. The only thing however that i’ve learned that works, is I had to buy a new mask (softer rubber, especially around the nose) and NOT exhale thru my nose! I found that was the ultimate reason why my mask always fogged in the first place. It’s not easy, but I don’t have the fog problem as bad anymore.
desidiver - 9/24/2008 12:42 PM
if spit doesn’t work just flood mask underwater little bit and then clear it up. no big deal.
TimmyP - 9/24/2008 1:08 PM
I use the Akona Gel and that seems to work quite well, even for multiple dives during the day. It was like 4 bucks and the bottle lasts for about 2 months. Take into account I dive alot living in Hawaii (little jab to the north eastern divers ;-) ) Also, there’s a plant here in Hawaii, not sure what it’s called, i’ll take a picture next time and post it, but you take the leaves, break them up and rub them into the mask and that works well for a single dive.
scubaclay - 9/24/2008 3:27 PM
If it bothers you a lot get a Sea Dive Mask, you can get an anti fogging mask. I have an anti fogging/color correcting mask from them and love it.
tech1327 - 9/24/2008 4:05 PM
I used to use 500 psi it works all day for several hours of scuba or freediving. Most important though when you buy a new mask to clean the lenses with soft scrub or toothpaste to remove the protective film. Once you do that spit seems to work just fine.
Subscribed
nutralbouy - 9/24/2008 4:09 PM

oops, Ok myabe I should of put in that it works in cold water and it is a paste, spit does not work up here in canada and neither does toothpaste, trust me like the rest of you I did all those things and I was not enjoying my time underwater because I was too busy clearing my mask all the thime.

Hey Greg how are you guys doing down there I felt really sorry for you guys when that hurricane came through Texas
divemaiden - 9/24/2008 5:50 PM

From TimmyP: . . . Take into account I dive alot living in Hawaii (little jab to the north eastern divers ;-) ) . . .

Hey, TimmyP, I’m a northeastern diver and I dive a lot, too. Just because the water’s cold doesn’t mean we stop diving.
CallesCafe - 9/24/2008 6:50 PM
Ive never dealt with fogging, until I was in La Jolla last week. Spitting just wasnt working with my mask on while topside so I added a lil flood swooshed and cleared.

Dang, I knew there was a reason why we learnt mask flood, clear, removal, etc.
TimmyP - 9/24/2008 11:53 PM
From divemaiden:

From TimmyP: . . . Take into account I dive alot living in Hawaii (little jab to the north eastern divers ;-) ) . . .

Hey, TimmyP, I’m a northeastern diver and I dive a lot, too. Just because the water’s cold doesn’t mean we stop diving.

Ha, I’m not saying that at all....I’ll love the fact that Nov - Feb my water will still be 80 degrees. That’s all.
lreese2 - 9/25/2008 7:13 PM
I like the 500 psi
Freediver312 - 9/25/2008 8:54 PM
The reason you never had problems with your mask fogging is because I sold you a $5 bottle of SEA BUFF mask cleaner when you first signed up a year ago. NO anti fog will work until you clean a new mask properly.
CallesCafe - 9/26/2008 10:43 AM
Is that the one with the orange lid? Cuz I have some from Sport Chalet with aqua writing or something, and it makes my mask all blurry and really hard to rinse out...
Subscribed
nutralbouy - 9/26/2008 2:33 PM
no it’s not. It has a black lid with a big X and OG and antifog in small white letters. I thought there was a web site but it must be down, I was trying to look for it
azskyandsea - 9/27/2008 11:30 PM
I went through the problem that no matter what I used, there was nothing that worked for me. It wasn’t until I was diving with one of our divebuddy members that he told me to just swish it around in the water after letting the SEA GOLD dry. Here I was putting the stuff on then letting it dry and wiping it off. I guess I took the directions too seriously. But now that I know how to properly use it, I can do 1 application and it will last the entire day. Thanks Dave!
Subscribed
Carhill - 9/28/2008 11:06 PM

What the Asia divers do on my island. Take Joy dishwashing liquid coat inside of mask with generous amount. Let stand face down in the sun for 5 to 7 days then rinse. The Asain divers say only use Joy diswashing liquid that is the only brand that works. The 70 some Asain Dive shops on Saipan do this to all their new masks before being sold. I have tried this with my own masks and it seems to work quite well. 

Dale Still on a little rock in the Pacific next to a pineapple under the sea
fossilbabe - 9/30/2008 5:15 PM

I use Johnson baby shampoo. Its cheap and wont burn your eyes if they put to much on the lense. Most new divers put to much on their lense. Thinking more is always better. This is not true. Nice thing about the baby shampoo if your a gulf diver like me you can use it to take a shower after your dive. ~~~Babe~~~ 

From divemaiden: Thanks for the info, but I found the best mask fog preventer ever, it’s free, I never run out of the stuff, and I never have to worry about forgetting or losing it. It’s called spit. :)

RAWalker - 10/07/2008 2:05 AM

I use Sea Gold and have had great result with it. My wifes eyes are sensitive to Sea Gold so she uses Johnson’s Baby shampoo.

Diving in saltwater has at times caused me to be low on available spit. I have had times when I forgot to use antifog that I was forced to flood and clear to see.
akdiver27 - 10/07/2008 6:04 PM
I have a couple of good antifogs that work. Hair conditioner works really well but make sure to rinse your mask well because if it gets in your eyes it sucks, spit, and seagold are real nice. I used to deck hand for a commercial geoduc and seacucumber diver and since he would sweat alot diving soft soap or rain-x and it didn’t matter how much he would sweat he did fog up.