Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Dry Gloves
Diverguy1 - 9/08/2008 11:45 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 8

I’m curious whether anyone uses dry gloves and what you think. ???
scubaclay - 9/08/2008 12:21 PM
Starting in Late Oct thru May I use dry gloves and like them a lot. The problem comes if you don’t get them sealed right and get a leak. Then they are not so much fun.
kcdiver - 9/08/2008 8:55 PM

I’ve tried them once and didn’t like how tight they felt on my hands. I just prefer my five mm gloves and have never had my hands get cold.
Saturn5 - 9/09/2008 12:12 AM
I’ve tried them and they definitey have their place. I tend to like fiddling around a bit too much on surface and with the dry gloves, it’s not like just taking off a glove to do something. I guess it’s a buddy sport, but if you both have dry gloves on, then there isn’t any way to do anything that requires dexterity. For just regular diving, I’ve not had a problem with 5 and 7mm gloves doing plenty to keep me warm for the duration of the dive.
GB - 9/09/2008 1:14 PM
I used some for a while, but they became a nuisance while diving with students. The rings seemed to be prone to leaking, which wound up getting most of the arm wet. Much easier and faster to use wetsuit gloves.
Subscribed
Diverguy1 - 9/11/2008 12:19 PM
Thanks Beth. Did you ever finish your instructor cert?
vablackwater - 9/16/2008 3:09 PM

I love dry gloves, and easy to get on and off by yourself.

I use the following ring system which will mate to most latex wrist seals http://www.scubacenter.com/scubacenter_onlinestore/drysuit_accessories/SI_Tech_Dry_Gloves.htm

Skip ordering the gloves via that site and but the same ones here for a huges savings http://www.seattlemarine.net/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=1785

A little tricky to get the ring system installed the first time, but doable. I used a little soapy water to help sliding the rings in and down easier. As far as pushing them down tight, i use a beat up old wooden kitchen spoon (and every now and then, while doing normal preventative maint. on the suit, break out the old spoon again).

Other tricks when you have the rings and gloves on, but i cut down the yellow liner glove to be just inside the ring, and tape the edges down so the glove doesn’t continue to fray. I also cut away the excess glove material on the underside of the male end. Before you cut excess blue glove material, make sure you have a full range of motion in the suit with your arms extended and above your head.

The nice thing about the system, is that if i puncture the glove the original latex seal keeps above my hand dry. Gloves can be easily field repaired, or you can buy a few extra pairs at the price they are listed and not worry about it. If i don’t want to wear the gloves, no worries, the rings are out of the way, or i could use normal neopryne gloves (as long as they are relatively short). If the water is relatively warm, easy pass on the liner as well.

Welcome to the world of smurf gloves!