Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving Sick?
tech1327 - 7/31/2008 6:37 AM
Category: General
Replies: 16

Ok so I broke the rules and dove while I was sick yesterday. I could use a helpful suggestion to disinfect my regs, mask...etc. Maybe light bleach water solution, I don’t know. I’d appreciate any good feedback on this.
Greg - 7/31/2008 8:44 AM
I let my regs sit in soapy warm water for a few hours every now and them. Not sure if bleach would be good though...but I’m sure if you kept the dosage low, it would kill germs without hurting equipment. But I’ve never tried bleach on my regs...I have used bleach in low amounts on my masks and snorkels though (again, not sure if that’s the proper thing to do or not though).
Astros5 - 7/31/2008 8:50 AM

One thing you could do is use peroxide or alcohol to kill the gems, take a clean cloth and lightly dip into peroxide and and hand wipe your reg , mask and snorkel and etc. that way. Good luck and safe diving.

Travis 
Subscribed
seafox - 7/31/2008 8:52 AM

Hey, happens to the best of us!

I suggest you use VIRKON, a broad spectrum disinfectant.

I use it on my CCR.
Snappahead - 7/31/2008 8:56 AM
what Astros said....or you could just use a solution of Simple Green.....
seawolfdiving - 7/31/2008 12:33 PM

I use Mirazyme for deodorizing and killing mold. But as far as disinfecting solutions go, I have tried a variety of them with success.

There are a number of disinfectant solutions available on the market today that can be safely used on scuba gear. The key to sucess in keeping all of your dive gear clean and sanatary is to wash and thoroughly rinse after every use and let the gear thoroughly dry before storage.

Here is a link to an article that discusses several disinfecting preperations tthat are available: http://www.underwater.com/archives/arch/septoct00.01.shtml

Hope this helps.

Subscribed
tech1327 - 7/31/2008 2:35 PM
Thanks everyone, the advice is appreciated!
FINSUPHAMMERDOWN - 7/31/2008 2:45 PM
cheap way out highly diluted anti bacterial liquid dish soap, rinse real good, warm water for both
AirOn - 7/31/2008 2:57 PM

Just don’t dive when your sick. If you want to clean up some dirty regs...

How about a little mouthwash...Kills germs, doesn’t kill you. Stopper the sink, then dump some mouthwash in the reg and over it then shake it around, pour a little more in the sink and add a some water to delute a little... then rub/wash/shake them in it for a couple minutes and rinse good. I don’t think there is anything in it that can harm the sensitive parts of the reg but still.

I’ll take a toothbrush and scrub the mouth piece to clean all the grooves in it but for the most part I just rinse out the reg good after soaking it a little bit.

Most of the time I think the "bugs" can’t live very long once dry and exposed to air... so dry well and keep your equipment ventilated in a cool place when not in use.
rescue15 - 7/31/2008 3:14 PM

As a firefighter, we don’t have the luxury of not putting on a mask when we are sick. Most Fire Departments clean their face masks with a disinfectant called Cavicide. It is safe for human consumption and safe for the diaphragm and other rubber or latex parts. Another thing we used to use before the cavicide is betadine solution. This can be found at most pharmacies. Spray either one on and let soak for a few minutes then rinse with clear water and dry.

Steve

Steve
Indiana - 7/31/2008 8:09 PM
I am not sure how to disinfect your reg but be very careful .Any thing to harsh and it might dry the rubber in the reg or hoses.Better off getting a cleaner from your dive shop.
WTXDIVER - 7/31/2008 8:59 PM

From FINSUPHAMMERDOWN: cheap way out highly diluted anti bacterial liquid dish soap, rinse real good, warm water for both

This is what I do as well followed up by filling the tub and adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup chlorine bleach and soak for 5 -10 min after each dive trip. I’ve been doing this for most of the 30 + years I’ve been diving and it has worked well for me. The key is dilution.
Riverdiver - 8/01/2008 6:44 AM
1 cup bleach to a gallon of water will disenfect and shouldnt hurt anything its the stadard disenfectant they have been using to clean cpr supplies for years dont let soak for more than 30 min
stitches - 8/02/2008 11:54 AM
After all our dive outings, I fill a plastic 55 gallon drum that I put a drain into the bottom with warm water, and add about 3 cups of Odoban to the water. This kills all the germs and leaves the gear smelling really nice due to the Eucalyptus scent. Can purchase product at Costco, or Sams in one gallon jugs. Throw gear in, swish around, then hang dry. I just dunk the regs so as to not chance getting water in them. I also use a dehumidifier in the basement laundry room to speed up drying.
csemenko - 8/03/2008 12:00 AM
I’ve used a mild bleach solution to do my BCD oral inflator, hose, and inside the bladder. Lots of freshwater rinsing afterwards. I use Listerine or like product or mild bleach solution for my reg, fresh water rinse to keep it from gumming up. Then I dip only the mouth piece in listerine to kill any germs on the mouth piece, then you have a fresh tasting mouth piece for your next dive.
flaski - 8/04/2008 8:12 PM

If you have the luxary of a pool in your yard the minimal levels of chlorine required to keep your pool sparkling clear will the best for general disifecting. Be cautious of bleaches, it will cloud silicone and shorten thelife of the silicone based membrane discs in octos and second stages. Best is to use the new Simple Green anti bactirial formula and use a mix of 1/4 cup per 5 gallons of water, sorry thats the smallest amount that I have mixed. This mix will even take care of anthrax. It is also great for that wet suit that missed the rinsing after a long dive and was left in the back of a covered Pick up for several days in the Florida sun. ( kind of the fish guts you would forget to toss on trash day). I get it at Home Depot in the cleaning supply isle, far less then other place.
DiveBuddyChgo - 8/10/2008 9:12 AM
You can’t get sick from your own germs.. Just take the second stage apart and rinse with water..