Perhaps a silly question?
MisterEd - 9/16/2020 11:21 AM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 21

I haven’t been certified yet, do I need PADI certification to rent air cylinders?
warrenhulk - 9/16/2020 2:53 PM
Christopher is correct! Certification is a must for tank rental with air.
Subscribed
Airworks - 9/17/2020 1:56 AM
Doesn’t have to be PADI. Every major dive organization (SSI, NAUI, SDI, etc.) offer classes as first steps to Open Water certification.
Subscribed
Caloosa - 9/17/2020 6:23 AM
You need some sort of certification agency, doesn’t have to be PADI
Subscribed
MisterEd - 9/17/2020 7:15 AM
I will try to work out my issues with PADI. I paid around $800 ? for open water training training and I will be taking my final training lessons next week. My instructor charges $86 a session after 7 lessons, however, I do not know what my next lesson might entail nor do I know how many more sessions I need to prove I am open water worthy.

It’s a big mess, I think he has already made up his mind about my certification. Consequently I may need to repeat certain training exercises to demonstrate I qualify for open water certification. This may include extra training sessions and having to pay more money.
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/17/2020 9:51 AM
There are no silly questions but you may get silly answers on here :)
Subscribed
MisterEd - 9/17/2020 11:27 AM
That’s an excellent idea, I paid for OW certification so my instructor will have to hold up his part of the contract. This may work to my advantage as the temperatures are dropping in the Northeast.
Subscribed
ChristopherBurgert - 9/17/2020 12:59 PM
Sounds like he is scamming the hell out of you. I paid 250.00 for advanced open water in 2016.
Eric_R - 9/18/2020 7:22 PM
Is this instructor associated with a dive shop?
Subscribed
MisterEd - 9/18/2020 8:44 PM
He is an independent PADI instructor. I emailed PADI Quality and Assurance for an inquiry into my PADI instructor. I gave them how much i paid for lessons, fins, mask/snorkel and boots. I mentioned my instructor is leaning to scuba diver certification even though I paid for OW certification. Told about left foot weakness and that I bought webbed gloves to compensate for side roll and that I bought a purge mask for under weather mask clearing.

I Resume training next Thursday at that time I will ask to see my training log book.
Subscribed
Jase - 9/19/2020 8:13 PM
Yes generally, but it can be any recognized organization... doesn’t have to be P.A.D.I
Subscribed
MisterEd - 9/19/2020 9:00 PM
I assume he is PADI but who knows?
Subscribed
ChristopherBurgert - 9/21/2020 9:51 AM
Didn’t you already mention that he is a PADI instructor?
badkarma - 9/22/2020 10:50 AM
This is what i heard, No you don’t you will have to sign a release saying you are using the cylinder for anything other than scuba diving i.e. paint ball ect.
Subscribed
MisterEd - 9/22/2020 11:27 AM
He is a PADI instructor. Thursday I will ask to see my training log book. I’ll get an idea of my progress and if I need to redo any exercises. I hope to be objective when I see him Thursday and get what I set out to do in the first place.
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/23/2020 8:54 AM
From ChristopherBurgert: Didn’t you already mention that he is a PADI instructor?

My instructor had a PADI shop but could issue other cards like YMCA, he ended up losing his instructor card when he showed up for the check out dives drunk.

A couple of courses I took I didn’t bother getting the specialty cards for because no one would be asking to see them. Now they would count toward Master Diver but again that’s another one that no one ask to see.
Subscribed
MisterEd - 9/23/2020 4:14 PM
Simply enough I spoke to my instructor today and told him I paid for open water certification and will not accept anything less, he said OK.

That’s that all of my worry for nothing,
Subscribed
MisterEd - 9/24/2020 5:01 PM
I met with PADI instructor today. He told me this is the way its going to be, he went on to say he will give me scuba diver certification and I declined, The instructor said he will write a referral form for me.

The rest of today I wrote PADI who said look for another instructor, there is not one anywhere nearby unless I took a college class.

I reached out to a dive shop where I bought some gear, however, he is not a PADI certified instructor. He mentioned however, when I get the referral form he may be able to transfer credit to SSI, NAUI or SDI of he is licensed instructor.

Now I wait
Subscribed
Jase - 9/24/2020 11:13 PM
WOW.... it truly sux you have had so much trouble.. SSI , Naui or SDI are all good organisations.
I really would have thought PADI may have stepped up and assisted more.
Keep trying, it’ll all be worth it when you get certified.
Subscribed
ChristopherBurgert - 9/25/2020 5:58 AM
NAUI, SSI, SDI, and TDI are all good agencies.I never trusted PADI after the one shop close to me tried ripping me off on a wetsuit.
Subscribed
MisterEd - 9/25/2020 9:53 AM
My former instructor called me last night to mail his referral sheet and record of completed tasks. I’m excited to have another opportunity to complete diving skills and ultimately receive certification.

I am certain there will be additional costs but it will be worth it.