Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

PADI replacement scuba certification card - $40!
Greg - 9/12/2020 9:24 AM
Category: General
Replies: 3

I’m a little bit shocked that PADI wants to charge $40 for a replacement scuba certification card. My old card has a crack in it...but I think I’ll keep it a little longer especially since PADI wants to charge $40 for a piece of plastic.

That’s on top of the annual membership fees I already pay them for my instructor rating.

They should offer members in good standing a free replacement card once every 5 years.

What do you think?
Subscribed
seanw - 8 days 17 hours ago.
Yea, it’s exorbitant, but they’re owned by a private equity firm so I’m not surprised. It’ll blow your mind when you learn they also charge the same for E-cards. Heck, they give the ecard to you for 30 days and then try and sell it to you for $40 after that expires.

I find it hard to get worked up about cards for instructors since they’ve got a willing business relationship with PADI so I see it as a cost of doing business. There are still a ton of rec divers out there with the same problem and no leverage.

I think a fair solution for both parties would be along the lines of putting all the ratings on one card so that when you complete a class you get an updated card. It would be an incentive to keep taking classes and still keep providing PADI with income.
Eric_R - 7 days 15 hours ago.
Subscribed
warrenhulk - 4 days 14 hours ago.
Exactly! My opinion, PADI should give all scuba ratings the e-card version for free. Sell the piece of plastic to you later. (if you want or need it.) $40 is insane given the a mount of money already spent.