Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

What if you are dissatisfied with your PADI instructor
MisterEd - 9/11/2020 6:28 PM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 3

My instructor is an older guy, already retired. He tells me what to do and I do it. I have a weak left thrust due to childhood foot injury instead of offering ideas and solutions to compensate for my imbalance he is reduce my open water certification to scuba certification.

I’ve completed all contained dives successfully except for underwater mask removal. I replaced my regular mask with a purge mask which works just fine. I wasn’t able to do poolside mount out of water. I also have webbed gloves and as someone suggested I will drill holes in right fin to compensate for left fin imbalance .

What recourse does a PADI student have for unfavorable grrading?
Eric_R - 5 days 8 hours ago.
Is the instructor associated with a shop? Maybe sit down with them and come up with a plan that will get you to where you want to be.
Subscribed
MisterEd - 4 days 20 hours ago.
The instructor is an independent instructor, not associated with any club or shop. Assumably there must be a PADI national or state wide board of ethics that oversees licensed Padi instructors.

I return to training next Thursday, at that time I will address my concerns with my instructor. He has indicated that he plans to give me scuba diver certification, however I am not willing to accept this level of certification even if I have to invite a 3rd party instructor and complete all exercises again for accurate grading
aeroknut - 3 days 21 hours ago.
It sounds from your writing that one or more skills may not be to PADI OW standards yet? Incomplete skills are one thing but asymmetrical thrust? I don’t get that one. I’m sure there is much more to the story. In any event, you paid for OW Certification so the instructor should provide the training necessary to get u there. If there are some challenges to completing a skill then a reasonable effort (additional dives?) should be offered to make you more comfortable/proficient. At some point there may be an expectation of additional compensation if your ability to successfully complete the required skill takes an extraordinary amount of time.
In the end, if you feel you have completed the skills necessary for OW certification and your instructor disagrees then I see two possible courses of action.
1. Ask him for a referral (your training record can be transferred to any other instructor or shop) and find another instructor to complete the training. The cost for this could vary widely.
2. Contact PADI Quality Management and voice your displeasure with your experience, though I doubt this option would result in a change to your instructor’s certification level recommendation.