Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Thousand Islands - Summer 2019
MDW - 12/21/2018 8:45 PM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 9

I guess, while I’m in here soliciting buddies for next week and the mid-winter, I may as well get a head start on rounding up groups to hit the river next season.

I’d like to start with some recreational trips in June (maybe), July (probably), and August (for sure). Then we will get some Tech trips set up for August, September, and October. My hope is to get in at least 6 trips up there in 2019. Yes, that’s more than 1 per month, even if we start in June.

For the Rec trips, depending on how many people we get, we could charter boats in either the US or Canada to get our to the Keystorm, America, Vickery, and the 7 wrecks in Brockville. For those who want to keep it cheap, we could do one weekend of nothing but shore dives - there are 3 or 4 on the US side and at least 6 on the Canada side I’ve done in the past. Another possibility is to do shore dive Friday afternoon, boat in the river Saturday, and charter into Lake Ontario (from Kingston, ON) Sunday morning before heading home in the afternoon.

For the tech trips, I usually do those with my main tech buddy Nazar, but the last couple years he’s always busy with other things until mid-Sept., so I could use somebody with trimix 1 level cert to do some 170’ - 200’ dives on the R.A. Jodrey in August and Sept. (and you’re welcome to join both of us whenever we go in Sept & Oct, either as a third in our team or as a second team of 2 or 3 on the boat).

My wife gets a bit testy if I go up there 2 weekends in a row, so I’ll be planning these to be anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks apart. Specific weekends to be decided later, based on who is interested in what and when they are available to go. Usually, however this will involve getting up there Friday night (or earlier Friday if anyone can take off that day) and coming home Sunday night (or Monday if we hit a holiday weekend or people can take a vacation day Monday).

Reply to get in the loop.
vasechek - 12/28/2018 9:15 PM
Any way to rent gear up there? I’d need a thicker tux to dive 1000 islands plus gas and possibly some lead.
Where can I get info on the rec sites planned?
Anyone doing anything else in the north east / mid Atlantic area in 2019?
Thanks and happy New Year
Subscribed
MDW - 1/01/2019 8:48 AM
There are several shops up there. On the US side there are 3 I know of where you can rent what you need - Hunt’s, All About SCUBA, and St Lawrence SCUBA.
On the Canada side there are at least 2 - ABUCS in Brockville and DiveTech in Mallorytown.

Depending on when you want to go, you may or may not need much more than you may have now. In August and September the water temp is in the mid 70s, so I have been known to dive in a 3 mil full or 5 mil shorty.

Here’s a link to some info on the wrecks (or google "Thousand Islands shipresk map":
shipwreckexpo.com/thousand_islands_shipwrecks.htm

I also dive at Dutch Springs regularly from April to November, so stop by if you want.
Subscribed
Brokenstick - 1/01/2019 4:27 PM
I’M a new river and looking for more diving and willing to travel to the Thousand Islands this summer for weekend diving. I have equipment and 5 mil wetsuit.
Email. rjhenchen@gmail.com
Subscribed
mattout142 - 2/20/2019 11:48 PM
Rec. diver here interested in some diving in the St. Lawrence area in the Spring. My weekends are limited but, with some advanced notice could probably work something out. Made a few trips up there last season and enjoyed it. Will also be at Dutch in the spring.

thanks
matt
Subscribed
MDW - 2/25/2019 7:21 AM
Matt,
You may not really want to dive up there in the spring. The water will still be pretty cold until mid June. The best time to go IMO is summer or fall. The river gets into the 70s in July until about Sept. and it’s still warmer in October than in early June.
That said, if you don’t mind cooler (50 - 60s) water, the vis is good in the spring.
Subscribed
mattout142 - 2/25/2019 6:37 PM
Yes never dove there that early. Dutch is in that temp range at depth in the spring. I would rather dive warmer waters but, you gotta do what ya gotta do!
Subscribed
MDW - 4/14/2019 2:58 AM
OK, here we go. It’s April and I already have a lot of interest from the DiveBuddy members I’ve been meeting up with at Dutch the past few weeks. We should have several divers for the first of several trips up to the river. The first trip will be the first weekend of July. I’d like to do each of the successive trips the first weekend of each month (Aug - Oct). I need a headcount for at least the July trip so I can make reservations for boat and lodging ASAP before it books up for this holiday weekend (July 4 is Thursday).
Who’s in?
Subscribed
MDW - 4/14/2019 3:00 AM
Also, if anybody wants to go up in June, let me know. I could be up for that, too.
Subscribed
RickHormigo - 5/27/2019 2:04 PM
We are going a group from NYC Sea Gypsies club divers in the Labor Day weekend 2019 for 4.5 days of great wrecks. But see not reason to open to other people coming from other places. Please see detailed info here and let me know if anybody would have any interest to see if still we can add people in the trip.

seagypsies.nyc/diving/thousand/index.html