Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Sept 3-8, 2017 local buddies needed NJ to Outer Banks
dhowland - 8/20/2017 10:13 PM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 7

Hello all. I’m planning a drive/camp/dive trip from CT to the Outer Banks and would love to find local divers along the way to dive with. I’ll probably try a few dive shops to see what’s around but if you are on the way and planning to dive, I’d love to join your group. If you know of good shore diving spots that normally have divers that would be great as well. I normally dive in Maine and there are always groups there willing to take on another diver. I hope to find them in NJ, DE, VA and NC as well. If not I’ll try a charter or 2. Thanks for any help.

Dan
Subscribed
PhilB - 8/23/2017 2:44 PM
Dan,
For Virginia Beach VA, stop by the Lynnhaven Dive Center and I’m sure they can hook you up with a buddy and dive. I’ll be in Morehead NC myself that weekend diving.

LDC is (757) 481-7949
ldcscuba.com
Subscribed
dhowland - 8/27/2017 6:43 PM
Thanks guys. I’ll definitely swing into Lynnhaven Phil. Latitude Adjustment - that sounds great. I was hoping to be in your neck of the woods on Sunday the 3rd. Any chance of sea horse that day or is Monday the day you’re going? I could check out other areas on Sunday and back track for the chance for seahorses. I primarily dive in Maine and while the lobsters were fun the first 10 dives, I think we’re on a first name basis now. I’m hoping to see different things heading south and sea horses would certainly qualify. :~)
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 8/28/2017 7:34 AM
Sunday tides;
Su 3 Low 12:17 AM 0.6 6:26 AM Set 3:36 AM 87
3 High 6:15 AM 4.2 7:24 PM Rise 6:02 PM
3 Low 12:25 PM 0.7
3 High 6:32 PM 5.0

If you want to do Sunday the second high tide is 6:32 pm so we could be in the water by 6 pm. I just tend to avoid there on weekends because of the shore traffic and the park would be busier, more picnicers and crabbers but the tennis players should be running out of daylight by then and freeing up some parking spots.

This will be warmer than Maine, I usually do this in a 3 mil. The video from the park here in the forum and on the dive site will give you an idea of the limited viz, usually around 5’ but there is a better chance of finding seahorses here than on a Cozumel dive!

Let me know if this time is okay and I’ll post the dive up the forum so maybe we’ll get more of the crew that dive the river on a regular basis.
Subscribed
dhowland - 8/28/2017 10:17 PM
That should work great LA. Not too far a drive from CT so if I’m late getting going I’ll have plenty of time to get there. I’ll probably be warm - not used to any water warmer than 55. I have 2 suits but they’re both 7mil. I really only use my farmer Johns so it it’s really warm, I could just wear the top and unzip it I suppose. This trip may be an excuse to buy a thinner suit.

Thanks for the camping offer too. I have a camper van so don’t take up much space. My plan is to head south the next day, either staying in NJ or shooting for Delaware. No really plans yet so we’ll see.
Subscribed
vstar07 - 9/02/2017 2:42 PM
Hello. Are you diving on 9/4? I have never dove here and may be interested in joining you. Please let me know. Thanks.
Subscribed
dhowland - 9/02/2017 7:41 PM
vstar07
Diving tomorrow 9/3, if the weather permits. I’m coming down from CT no matter what so I’ll be there. plan is to be in the water by 6:00pm.